Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know the weights of these items but lets pretend they are the appropriate amount of food for apollo each day. Keep in mind he will get a little bit of kibble in the morning and raw at night. How does this menu sound? What is missing? How much veggies do I feed and what about yogurt? cottage cheese?

MONDAY: 1 chicken leg (attached to thigh)
TUESDAY: 1 pork shoulder (? what is that? I've seen it mentioned alot b4 though)
WEDNESDAY: 1 large turkey wing, 1 egg
THURSDAY: 1 cornish hen
FRIDAY: rabbit (?)
SATURDAY: 1 can of sardines in water (no salt). with pureed green beans?
SUNDAY: 1/2 cup of beef chunks (like the kind for stew). 1 chicken liver, 1 beef heart, 5 gizzards, and one egg

I'm just kinda trying to feel this out. I still have time to get the hang of this before we switch him. I would just like to know what I am gunna feed him the first week of raw feeding. Help me edit this menu so that I can have an idea of what to feed that first week. Thanks!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I would also like to know. I also am thinking seriously of switching Sammi or at least going half/half.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to ask.....anyone feed WHOLE rabbit, quail, duck, etc???

The cats and ferrets will be getting whole prey (mice, rats, rabbit, quail, chicks, etc) but I don't know if I should feed whole prey to apollo.......opinions?

·
Registered
412 Posts
The first few weeks it would actually be better to feed only one kind of meat. Many people start on chicken (correct me if I am wrong). When you have been feeding that for a while (week or two) than you can slowly start introducing other kinds. Meanwhile, I would hold back the organs, cottage cheese, yogurt as all of that can cause loose stool. It is a graduate process and it does take a while until you can feed just about anything. I started introducing too many kinds too soon, and I had to go back and slow down until she got used to it. Anyway, what works for one dog might work differently for other one - so at the end you will figure out what combinations work for Appollo. I haven't fed whole animals yet, as they are big and Chocolata is keeping in shape ;D I will buy her some nice animal for her gotcha day though.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh yes! Good point about sticking to one food and then branching out. I did that with my ferrets and it helped them to adjust. So lets say we start with chicken. Do I feed him like a leg and thigh and then feed a cornish hen. Whatother parts of the chicken can I feed? I get nervous about wings with apollo, seems to easy to choke on those.

For the next week when we start to add more foods, what do you reccomend including? Lets pretend like the menu I listed above is for the third or fourth week of feeding raw. What should I add or change to it?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I personally prefer chicken backs rather than leg quarters or wings. I, too, would start with only one protein source and gradually add others. Might want to include a digetive enzyme at first as well, though Caleb still gets some with each meal. I do know someone who does the whole prey thing and her Aussies love it. I don't though. Don't think I could. Duck is much fatter than chicken and so is much richer. I don't feed a lot of duck because of that. I would add some beef. For one meal a week have some offal--orgainic beef liver, chicken hearts, gizzards. I'll include a little beef heart in that once in a while, too. I would personally add the red meat before I added the pork, duck or cornish hen. Again, these are things I added gradually.

One thing I would add right away is a good yogurt. Caleb gets some everyday and has for most of his life. Stoneyfield or Brown Cow--with good levels and good bacteria in it. About one tablespoon a day--I do it as a separate treat.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I feed Chicken Backs as a staple. Then I add green beans, carrots, etc as a veggie filler. I sometimes feed Turkey Necks or some other boney poultry if it is on sale.

I feed Chicken Hearts and Chicken Livers a couple times a week. I have recently started adding tuna or jack mackeral to their diets once a week for the Omega 3's.

Start slowly, with one kind of protein. Don't start with the eggs right off. You will probably have an issue with runny stools. It is a touch and go thing for a while until you figure out what the dogs system can handle. I have been doing RAW since last September and I will never go back. I did, however, want to give up a couple days in when the bathroom visits weren't that great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts