Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have a car or SUV/truck? Where does s/he go: front seat, backseat, cargo area? Does your pup just jump in or do you have a ramp or something else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I have a Subaru wagon, but Henery rides in the back seat with a seatbelt harness. He just hops on in, turns around, and lifts each front paw for me to slip the harness up and buckle it for him! :D

We used to have an Envoy, and Henery rode in the cargo area of that. I was worried (ie paranoid) about the constant jumping up and jumping down and the stresses on his elbows so I traded it in for a car. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
i just open the back door of my maxima and he logan hops right in. once he's in, i say "sit" and when he sits, i shut the door. as i walk around to let myself in, he already has his paws on the arm rest between the front seats, trying to ride shotgun. he eventually gives up.

*whenever i leave the car to run a quick errand, he jumps into my seat (the driver's seat) and waits there. can anyone explain this?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Henery likes to sneak into the passenger seat too, if I haven't buckled him in. Sometimes it doesn't matter if there's someone sitting in the passenger seat already... ;)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
The back door on my TrailBlazer is a hatch, they just jump in and out. Not much of a jump, probably a couple of feet. They put more stress on the legs jumping in and out of bed each morning.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ugh, I'm so envious! LOL. Jersey just doesn't like jumping up onto things (except of course for people ::)) and won't voluntarily get into the car. I used to have a sedan and he wouldn't jump into the backdoor and now I have a RR Sport that lowers in access mode that is pretty low. Should be easy for him to get in, but no. It makes it hard and I don't take him places "just because" now b/c it's too difficult for me to get him into the car by myself. DH usually picks him up and puts him in, then he's fine! And he jumps out just fine. I don't know what I can do, I've tried everything to get him into the car!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Both of my boys have to be lifted up. :-\ Granted, I have a Jeep Wrangler and it's not the easiest thing for a dog to jump into.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have a dodge neon and a toyota camery and breed just jumps in any door that is open and sits on the back seat.. And like you logan, she will hop into the front when no one is in there.. I dont get it either :) We also have a lifted Jeep that she rides in the bak hatch of being as its higher up, she will take a running leap to get in there ... she dont care what door is open, she will jump in. Even if we arent going anywhere :)

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Cinder just hops in. When she rode in the kennel in the back she would just hop in the kennel, now she already has her harness on and she just hops in, we drive an expedition, and tries for shotgun. ;D She also doesn't care if someone is already there, so I try to have her harness in my hand when she jumps in to stop a wrestling match with the kid in front.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a Montero Sport with a crate in the back cargo area. I tell Larry to "Get Up!" and he hops right in. When getting out, I lift him and put him on the ground - don't want to stress his elbows too much.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Mine ride in the back of my car behind a barrier.

No way would I ever risk having them in the front passenger seat. It makes me cringe when I see people doing this.

·
Registered
746 Posts
We have a Tahoe a Dodge Ram and a Jeep Wrangler. Kody jumps right in the back seat of the Tahoe but needs a boost into the truck and Jeep. He loves riding shotgun in the truck (buckled up of course).

henrysmom, I love your sig pic of Henry! Did the camera survive? ;)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have a small SUV - Hyundai Tucson. I have a DogRamp. I bought it after he had his leg surgery.
Wish I had something similar for my bed.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I open up the back door of my Saturn and Thor jumps right in. Sometimes BF and I have to lift him into BF's truck cuz it's pretty high. :)

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I have a small SUV as well & Bailey just jumps in the back. Right now she rides in a kennel, but I'm planning on getting a barrier for the back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i used to have to pick sami up and put her in, but now that she's a big girl I just prop her front paws on the inside and we do a "1,2,3, go and I give her a shove and she's in. Lately though she's been jumping in before I can help...

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
When I first got Lexi I had a Chevrolet Monte Carlo & just last fall upgraded to a brand spanking new Chevrolet Equinox SUV.

Lexi rides and has always ridden in the front passenger seat. As for getting in and out... she jumps in & out all by herself. I've never had to coax her when it comes to the car. Heck, I think she is the only dog I know that gets excited getting in the car to go to the vet's office.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i have a toyota matrix, so when we go out on i ride i have her sit next to the back door till i open it. when i'm ready for her to get in then i just say go inside and she jumps in.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I'm still a BAD MOMMY and let my two either ride loose in the back seat, or in the back of the station wagon. I have a rug that I drape over the back of the seat and a fleece blanket that I lay on the seat. Emilu always rides in the seat, but Skippy sometimes prefers to ride in the very back, on a rug. I open the door and say "get in"! They have learned to not jump in before I tell them to, and to wait to get out until I tell them too, althought I wouldn't leave them sitting in there with an open door.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts