Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's our Rottie pup (7 months old). He doesn't just grab food - he goes for ANYTHING on the counters. Ugh...

This is a problem I haven't had in my lifetime of having dogs. We've been fortunate, I suppose. I'm hoping I can get some advice from some seasoned pros in this area. Any tips? Closing off the kitchen isn't an option due to the floor plan of our house.

He has also pulled stuff off the stove, which is just scary! Luckily it wasn't anything hot, but now if I make something that is going to be on the stove top for a while, I've been either putting his collar and leash on him and attaching him to my arm or shutting him up in his kennel. I'd rather listen to him bark and whine than I had have him hurt himself really bad (he HATES his kennel).

He is a good puppy. This is really the only problem we have with him. It's just a VERY frustrating problem. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Because Cinnamon choose to surf the counter that had my drop in stove I used a Zap Mat. Like your Rotie it wasn't food as stuff she was grabbing. I figure better a small electric shock once or twice than a badly burned puppy.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Our youngest dog was a nightmare with the counter surfing. We tried everything and yet every time you turned around, she had her nose and paws up there searching for stuff. The final straw was when I walked into the kitchen and she was standing on the island looking as proud as if she'd just climbed a mountain. It was pretty impressive actually since it's pretty high, she left no marks on the cabinetry and the top is granite so there was really no traction, but at some point she was going to get hurt and we had to get it stopped.

At a friend's suggestion, we bought an air horn and every time she even looked at the counter I gave it a blast. After a day or two she never did it again. Certainly not ideal, but we'd done the keeping her leashed to us and saying "down" until we were blue in the face. Cheap, fast and effective although it felt like cheating a bit and I'm sure some people would think we were barbarians to have used it.

·
Registered
21,292 Posts
Our youngest dog was a nightmare with the counter surfing. We tried everything and yet every time you turned around, she had her nose and paws up there searching for stuff. The final straw was when I walked into the kitchen and she was standing on the island looking as proud as if she'd just climbed a mountain. It was pretty impressive actually since it's pretty high, she left no marks on the cabinetry and the top is granite so there was really no traction, but at some point she was going to get hurt and we had to get it stopped.

At a friend's suggestion, we bought an air horn and every time she even looked at the counter I gave it a blast. After a day or two she never did it again. Certainly not ideal, but we'd done the keeping her leashed to us and saying "down" until we were blue in the face. Cheap, fast and effective although it felt like cheating a bit and I'm sure some people would think we were barbarians to have used it.
I used a similar method with Jasper's barking when he was a pup but it simply involved squirting water in his face every time that he did it !

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Make sure the counters are clutter and food free at all times unless you are supervising.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
If loud sounds don't work, I would probably use an e-collar. If you don't break him now it will be a nightmare. We were always lucky with Teddy...he hates being yelled at so once was enough to keep him from surfing ever again. If you can't supervise, though, he needs to be crated.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
The final straw was when I walked into the kitchen and she was standing on the island looking as proud as if she'd just climbed a mountain.
That's funny! :D But ........

Jo did it once & I cured him instantly within 24 hours. He stole some meat off the bench so the next day, I left some of his meat on the bench but I gave it a liberal sprinkling of pepper. Not long after, he stole it & ate it complete with pepper. :eek: Needless to say, he drank a hell of a lot after it but he never went near food on that bench again.

My reasoning was, if he associated that bench with a bad experience (eating a mouthful of pepper) he wouldn't do it again & he didn't. Best thing about it was he had no idea it was his dad who was punishing him. :)

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Remy, wonder of wonders, does not counter surf. Brooklyn, however...is the queen. Her favorite is licking the dirty dishes in the sink. I've found the only thing that works is to keep the counters clear. If the dog gets up there and gets something...then its rewarding itself. If there's nothing up there consistently...she stops going up there. Of course...she can smell food up there...but we do give her scraps rewarding her for NOT getting on the counter. 4-on-the-floor is a command they know.

Its a pain keeping the counters clear, but if you make it boring for them they stop surfing.

mostly.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
When our dogs were pups we kept a rolled up newspaper on the counter, when they'd get up there, or even get their nose close to sniff, we'd wap that paper as hard as we could right in front of their nose. It didn't take long for them to learn not to do that. They do not counter surf. Plus I think they never actually got anything off of the counter to make it rewarding to them, so this made it easier. I'd certainly try an e-collar if I had to. Or put something up there that is so unpleasant they'll never do it again.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll try out these ideas. I'm trying to keep the cabinets clean, but with two younger kiddos, it seems impossible! lol

Rex just started doing this a week or two ago. He is insane. Jason was making some peppers stuffed with some spicy cheese mixture the other day, and he left them to go to answer the door. It was the UPS guy, and he had to sign for a package. I was at the school helping in my youngest's classroom so Rex was left unsupervised. Jason had made about a dozen peppers so far, and they are REALLY spicy. I can't manage to eat one without practically crying. Jason makes Louisiana proud with these peppers. Rex managed to eat all of them, and Jason said he loved them. Rex followed Jason around the rest of the time he was dealing with the peppers. :eek::confused:

We probably have the only dog in the world that would probably enjoy something that spicy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Holy crap, Gail!!! :eek: :eek: How was his poop after that? *ouch*

Missy, it must be a Golden thing. Macy looooves to stretch herself awkwardly to lick a dish in the sink. *whistles innocently*

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy crap, Gail!!! :eek: :eek: How was his poop after that? *ouch*

Missy, it must be a Golden thing. Macy looooves to stretch herself awkwardly to lick a dish in the sink. *whistles innocently*
No different than normal. I was surprised!

Rex gets into the sink too! He pulled a bowl out of there the other night and licked the ice cream out of it. The sink is a bit harder to keep clean because we don't have a dishwasher. I feel like I'm always washing dishes now...especially when the boys were out of school and Jason getting home at 8 AM everyday right now. Jason leaves Tuesday for 2 months so it'll just be me home most of the time and I hardly eat so it should be easier! lol

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Here is what worked for us when our dog was a pup. Duct tape - long loops curled out hanging over the edge of the counter and stove so when he jumped up the sticky part stuck to his paws. Set mousetraps carefully placed on top of a towel with the edge of the towel hanging just over the edge so they can snag the towel. Our dog hated the traps and the tape so it didn't take long to cure him. Now if he ever picks up soemthing he shouldn't he knows the come and give comamdn so it is not a problem. Or you could always crate but then I don't think that teaches them not to surf. A squirt with lemon juice might also do the trick. Our boy loved pepper so we quickly gave up on that idea.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Schatzi used to be bad about this. She was sneaky too - would never do it in front of anyone but the second you turned your back, any food left out was history. With my apartment, it's easy to close off the kitchen, so we started with making the kitchen off-limits. If we couldn't supervise, she would go up in her crate. We also do our best to keep the counters clean. We haven't had any issues with her in awhile, but boy do I remember those puppy years! When she turned about 18 months old, everything seemed to click. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Here is what worked for us when our dog was a pup. Duct tape - long loops curled out hanging over the edge of the counter and stove so when he jumped up the sticky part stuck to his paws. Set mousetraps carefully placed on top of a towel with the edge of the towel hanging just over the edge so they can snag the towel. Our dog hated the traps and the tape so it didn't take long to cure him. Now if he ever picks up soemthing he shouldn't he knows the come and give comamdn so it is not a problem. Or you could always crate but then I don't think that teaches them not to surf. A squirt with lemon juice might also do the trick. Our boy loved pepper so we quickly gave up on that idea.
RIGHT, PAT! (Morgan ate the duct tape!)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll give this one a try too! Rex does know come and drop it so getting things back isn't a problem...unless it's food, then it's gone without being chewed! lol

Ahh..this too shall pass, right? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.