Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been hard for hubby and I to meet new people since we moved to suburban CT. Our town is very kid-centric and not having kids we find it difficult to meet new people.

But last night we went to a great mixer party for the clientele of the local wine shop we frequent held at the shop owner's house. Met several people with similar interests: animal lovers, winos, foodies...it was great! We even went back to one of the couple's homes after the party for more wine and cheese and stayed out way past our bedtime...we got home after 1 a.m. (Yes, this morning was very ugly at my house)

I was just wondering how y'all meet new people and make new friends?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Get involved. Join a book club. Volunteer @ church. Take a dog obed class. Etc...

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
We have no friends. LOL just kidding.

It is hard to meet people sometimes and we usually meet new people through our current family or friends

good luck

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Good question. I've been here for years and don't know anyone. If I want to do something, I do it by myself. I know most of my trouble is I don't trust people. The one time I did and let someone get close to me, they stabbed me in the back. So I closed up again.

I've done all the things Dan suggested, but I just couldn't drop the wall enough. Most people who meet me think I'm stuck up because I don't make a lot of eye contact or engage in small talk. A lot of it is being part Indian...that kind of behavior is considered rude, but a lot of it is that I don't invite people to get close to me.

If you're not a social outcast like I am, then I bet those things that Dan suggested would work. ;)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
It is difficult when you move into an established community, or place where family have stayed several generations.

Continue what you have done. Visit local dog parks, attend some dog shows. Look in places where you would like to be.

Does the town have volunteer groups for the park system or something else you are interested in.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Work and neighbors are great avenues. I have never really had trouble with that. When I moved back here from Florida it was a little lonely but I eventually made friends. I am very social. Hence my job, sales...

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Good question. I've been here for years and don't know anyone. If I want to do something, I do it by myself. I know most of my trouble is I don't trust people. The one time I did and let someone get close to me, they stabbed me in the back. So I closed up again.

I've done all the things Dan suggested, but I just couldn't drop the wall enough. Most people who meet me think I'm stuck up because I don't make a lot of eye contact or engage in small talk. A lot of it is being part Indian...that kind of behavior is considered rude, but a lot of it is that I don't invite people to get close to me.

If you're not a social outcast like I am, then I bet those things that Dan suggested would work. ;)

Laura, You have too much time committed to your animals to waste any with lowly humans. That is a good thing.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Not always Ed. Sometimes I'd like to do some things with humans, but can't because I don't really know any. *shrugs*

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
The only new friends I've made since college have been coworkers and my neighbors! So, I am clearly not the person to ask.

OH! And my internet friends. =)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
If I want to do something, I do it by myself. I know most of my trouble is I don't trust people.
I've done all the things Dan suggested, but I just couldn't drop the wall enough. Most people who meet me think I'm stuck up because I don't make a lot of eye contact or engage in small talk.
Laura, I could have written that to the 't'. I have 1 good friend from childhood (who lives in Montana so we don't talk or see eachother much!), that's about it. I have no interest in making new friends, it's too awkward for me most of the time. A woman down the road has been trying to become friends for years, but I won't let the wall down. I've had several great friends the last couple of years, but I run away as soon as we start getting too close..

Yea I know, I need to see someone about that. :confused:

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
It has got to be very difficult to meet people if you don't have kids. DH and I were just talking about that with another couple over the weekend (people we met through one of my son's baseball teams). We were talking about it from a little different perspective; DH said, "All of our friends are our kid's friends parents. Once the kids are gone, we won't have any friends." :eek:

We have met all of our friends through our kid's sports or school. The only exception is my best friend and her husband (I grew up next door to her, we were roomates in college and after, and for the last 20 years we haven't lived more than 10 miles apart; she now lives about a 1/2 mile away).

Dan's suggestions of book joining a book club, church, etc. are better than what we came up with. We had decided that we would just go hang around the baseball diamonds, football fields, and hockey rinks and pretend we still had friends. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Yea I know, I need to see someone about that. :confused:
Oh I understand that. ;)

I have one maybe good enough friend that she knows all my flaws and yet she still cares. She doesn't live anywhere close to me.

Anyone else, they'll never know the real me. My own family doesn't know the real me. They see what I allow them to see, which isn't much.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I'd say do exactly what you did last night and even if you don't become really close with those people, maybe somebody else you met there will become your friends. Maybe have an open house and invite the neighbors or that group of people over to your place.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Laura/Amy - I'll be your friend. Now, can I borrow $20?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
LOL Dan!!

Anyone else, they'll never know the real me.
My husband does, which is probably why we worship eachother. :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Volunteering opens up all new worlds. I meet folks through my kids mostly though. We have poker night and bunko night through parents we met thru our kids sports. I also volunteer for several things. Oh and through my job, I have a few girlfriends who meet for coffee every wednesday afternoon. I was a recluse for so long when my kids were younger. It's very difficult because I am shy when I first get to know someone, but I have to remind myself to open myself up.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Not always Ed. Sometimes I'd like to do some things with humans, but can't because I don't really know any. *shrugs*
I'm in the same boat. My best friend from high school, who really knows me, lives in Chicago.

I had a room mate before I met Bill, and I thought we were really close. We went through a lot together and share the same birthday. Starting about two years ago, they were always busy when Bill was home and we wanted to get together with them. Last time I talked to her was right after my surgery in June 2008; since then, she has not replied to emails or voice messages, and I have no idea why. Bill said I should go talk to her in person and ask her what's wrong. Bull. If she misunderstood something I said or misread an email, she should know me well enough to know that I would never deliberately hurt a person and ask me what I meant by it. So, I don't have any friends near by either.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
It has been hard for hubby and I to meet new people since we moved to suburban CT. Our town is very kid-centric and not having kids we find it difficult to meet new people.

But last night we went to a great mixer party for the clientele of the local wine shop we frequent held at the shop owner's house. Met several people with similar interests: animal lovers, winos, foodies...it was great! We even went back to one of the couple's homes after the party for more wine and cheese and stayed out way past our bedtime...we got home after 1 a.m. (Yes, this morning was very ugly at my house)

I was just wondering how y'all meet new people and make new friends?

hmmm. one of my co-workers in another office was complaining about "some people we had over last night who just wouldn't get the hint to leave..."

Was this you? LOL

As for meeting new friends, i try not to spit, choke, hit or punch anyone until I think I might like them, and then take it from there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts