Just Labradors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than Popcorn and our sheepie (who we got very, very, very lucky with), all of our puppies have come from the humane society. I found Poppy in a newspaper. She was 4 months old, had already been in four homes, and the breeder was practically giving her away. I called to see her, and she's been my best furry pal ever since. :) She's only 2, but she's healthy and has an awesome temperment so far. She has made me fall in love with the breed. They remind me of labs, except in smaller packages. :)

We have been considering adding a red or fawn Pembroke Welsh corgi to our family for a few months now. I'm starting to do research on breeders, but it's hard to decipher the good breeders from the bad ones online.

I looked at the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America site, and I found this breeder in MS: www.canuckcorgis.com . Their site says they seldom have puppies for sale though (and hasn't been updated in a while...). I found another site with people active in showing and obedience/agility trials, but they also said they rarely have puppies and have a waiting list making it difficult for anyone to purchase one in the next few years. I'd like to get another while Poppy is still young.

Is there a better place I should be looking for breeders? I'm not part of a corgi forum so I was hoping someone may can give me ideas on how to find breed-specific puppies. :)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I would contact the breeders who say that they don't have litters very often, tell them that you are experienced with dogs, would like to get a corgi and want one from a reputable breeder who do health clearance,etc, and ask them if they could recommend a breeder who might have a litter, or planning on having one. I have found that while e-mailing is good for establishing yourself and telling your story, many breeders don't seem to followup on e-mails - you can then call them on the phone if you have their phone number and talk to them. I have done extensive "research" on lab breeders, but find that when I look at other breeds of dogs, it is a little harder to pick out the "good breeders". You could ask at your vets, they might know someone who has them, or if you see someone with a corgis (go to a show) you can ask about breeders there.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I never thought about a show. We only have a couple of small ones yearly around here, but I'll definitely go to the next one and see if any corgis are there. :) I didn't think one would be so hard to find since they're ranked #22 on the AKC registry list!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. I'd definitely wait until afterwards. I'm really shy so it would probably take me that long to gather up the courage to walk up and talk to someone anyway. ;)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I looked around at the referred breeders in Alabama, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Arkansas. There's just SO many BYB around here since people see it as an easy way to make money. I'd hate to drive 4-12 hours and be disappointed at what I see once I get there. There's one in Shreveport, and that's where Jason's mom lives. I e-mailed them so maybe they'll have puppies available in the near future. That wouldn't be a wasted trip if things didn't work out atleast. :)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I think patm's advice and Labby's contacts will be very helpful.

When I decided to get another Lab, I wanted a yellow and thought I'd try one from Hunt & Field lines since my first Lab had been black and a bench line. So I contacted HT & FT Lab groups and identified breeders from them.

Puff's breeder was the president of a Kansas/Oklahoma group, parents had all health clearances, good lineages, AKC regs, and -- the tipping point for me -- Puff was the runt of her litter, weighing only 6 lbs at 9 weeks compared to the 12 lbs. @ of her seven littermates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.