Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new dog park in our town and I have been happily taking Maggie there. She has been loving it and she needed some socialization........
BUT, we are now having some issues:
1. She has gooey eyes all of a sudden
2. She is starting to do this weird sneeze

Small dogs are supposed to be separated and ARE NOT!
3. This small dog keeps trying to hump Maggie every time we are there
** the owner says that it is not fixed
** she doesn't watch it very closely
** she won't keep it in the small dog area because she also has a large dog and wants them to be together

I brought this up to the supervisor on duty and they said "please don't make a big stink because this is a new park and we don't want it to close down"

Should I write a letter?
Should I talk to somebody else?
Should I just stop going?

It really is a nice park and most people there are awesome. It just takes a few to ruin the whole thing! I don't want to be a troublemaker, but others have noticed this lady as well. And it seems like she is there all day long because she has nothing else to do.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That's what I'm beginning to think too. It's too bad too because she was doing so good with getting to be socialized. I'm feeling kind of weird saying this but, she was starting to make friends and learning some of the other dogs. She had her favorites. She would see certain dogs and run right up to them and start playing with them and get all happy when she saw them.

I noticed another thing too. She has been licking her private part ALOT! Man, it's bugging me. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow. (our vet is a friend and she will see her on Saturday at her mobile clinic) She is going to treat her eye infection. She said her licking on her private could be a foxtail from our yard and not from the dog park. (she's had that before) But, she doesn't like dog parks at all. She said stay away from the park because kennel cough is bad right now.

thanks you guys.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
also do not like them. one guys dog kept trying to hump out oldest lab and she was terrified and the owner did nothing. both my husband and i screamed at him and DH was ready to throw punches because that's his baby. we left and never went back.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
don't like them for most of the reasons you just listed. unless it's a private dog park when each dog is temperament tested and has to show proof of all vac's. you pay an annual fee for membership.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Adding to the chorus of don't like 'em. I think unless you have a static group of dogs who all show up at the same time regularly so that they actually get to know each other - it is a very artificial environment and hard for some dogs to adapt to.

I much prefer to have my dogs play with my friends dogs.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
A number of people I know like our local "Bark Park" (its actual name) but I've taken Puff there 7-8 times and she never socialized with other dogs, she just wandered around as if stoned by all the odors.

We've had much better results from forming our own group of (mainly) Labs that meet for an hour every Saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
601 Posts
We don't have one around here. I took Happy and Lucky to one in Columbia and there wasn't anybody there! :eek: We went into the 'leash free' area that had a lot of wooded areas and somebody tried to mug me, so Shane won't let me go back.

Most dog owners in my town are pretty irresponsible so I doubt I'd take mine to one if they formed one here. I usually take mine to a park that has a lake so my dogs can go swimming.

There is a lady that I see every now and then walking an older black lab around. I'm pretty sure where she lives, I keep waiting to see her again so I can pop out and say "Hey would you and your lab like to play with us?!" She even carries a poop bag, I'm the only other person I've ever seen with them around here!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I love our " Dog park" but it is nothing like the parks that I have seen on here! it is called 1000 acres for the reason that it is basically acres and acres of land that has ponds, rivers, and many back water areas- you may see someone with one dog or non at all! I go at least twice a week with Sammi and one of my good friends with her dog Joe, sometimes others join us, the pups get good off leash time and us adults get a great hike in!! I think I have only had one issue with a dog owner, and it hasn't happened again, not bad for 3 yrs. of using the same park!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
There is a dog park really close to us, but I doubt we will go there very often, if ever. Unfortunately there are too many irresponsible dog owners in the world who ruin these parks for other people. We took Cybil to the dog park in the city we used to live in when she was about 2 and while she didn't have a bad experience it was quite apparent she was the only trained dog there.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Guess what? Hershey Kisses and I love them. We will be leaving with my granddog Newman for the big one by the river in a couple hours.

HK and I go to several different dog parks dependent on day, weather, whatever. We know great people and great dogs at all of them Yep! We have run into some assholes too. What I found when we started going to them, and have subscribed to since, is that the dog parks are what the people that go make them. YOU, and maybe some others, should have spoken to the other owner. Explained that the dogs behavior was not welcome and she needed to pay attention and correct, or remove him. Same with owners that don't pick up after their dogs. Mild behavior issues can be handled within the participants. A truly aggressive dog needs to have the authorities called.

Don't give up on the park. Talk with other responsible owners, develop a plan on how to handle situations, execute. Also, you should find that we humans are creatures of habit. THe same people, and dogs, will tend to show up on the same days at the same time. You could try other times of days to avoid irresponsible owners. But again, the dog parks become what the participants choose to make them. Make yours something good.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
The dog park we use is privately owned with each member having a financial interest in the park. We have rules and people follow them. Locks are changed every spring and participants must provide proof of updated vaccinations or titers in order to renew for the current year. It is the exception when someone does not. We have a system in place for reporting violations which are addressed at meetings on a quarterly basis. Owners are sensored and letters are written restricting and or banning them from using the facility. The park is mandatory off leash. I've met some great people there. We usually schedule get togethers with other lab owners which makes it even better.

We also hold a spring and fall clean-up. Participation in one of the sessions is required. Our park is the exception. It is close to 60 miles round trip and worth the expense.

As for public dog parks doubt I would ever go there.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
There is one about a 10 minute walk from our house - closed for renovation at the moment. So we drive about 2 miles to the one across town. Motu loves it; very hard to get him to leave when the time comes. We go almost every evening during the week and usually 2x a day on weekends. We have seen a couple skirmishes that were quickly shut down by the parents. But mostly the dogs are chasing each other, playing keepaway with a stick or ball etc.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Add me to the "don't like 'em" camp. Ours are terrible. Owners don't pay attention to their dogs nor do they pick up their dogs' poop, and I've seen people bring their toddlers in or babies in strollers in or food in and then freak out when the dogs come near them to see what's what. Honestly, what did you expect??

I think you can adequately socialize your dog without having to use a dog park... Ollie is extremely well socialized and has never stepped paw inside of one, nor will he ever. I'd rather have friends come over with their well-mannered dogs and have playdates! :)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
We go to ours as often as we can. It is a 12 acre field surrounded by woods and on one side there is a 2 acre pond.

Yes, we have our issues there which is why we walk a lot, but over all we have fun. It is policed by us, if there is a problem dog or owner they are asked to either restrain their dog or to leave. If it continues they are reported to park officials and they are banned.

Eddie has been attacked a couple of times for no reason. Once ended he up on his back with the others dog's mouth around his throat! I got hold of the attackers collar and lifted him up off Eddie, he didn't have a grip, and handed him off to his owner. The dog was leashed and removed without a word. In another, the dog was just attacking every dog he met, when he jumped Fanny she sat down gave him a dirty look and he walked away almost shrugging his shoulders but then he saw Eddie and he was on his back again. I got hold of her dog and told her to leave and she argued with me! When she saw I wasn't going to let up she put his leash on and we all moved on. She had absolutely no control over this dog and she had 3 others with her!

Eddie is now very cautious with other dogs but does play with them, Fanny doesn't ahve a care in the world! She is at the park, let's play!

The key is to police each other, arguments don't have to happen but you do have to pay attention and stand your ground.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts