Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hubby is sick. This means that while the baby got a good night's sleep I did not and neither did he.

I was up at 3am 5 am 5:30 6 7:30 8 and 8:30. Mostly due to the coughing and fidgeting of said husband. He got out of bed at 5:30 but was still pretty loud. At 8:30 he declared to my prone body that he was going to the drugstore. He woke the baby up at 8-not entirely his fault our floorboards are squeaky. He fed her a bit and then put her back in her crib (without her soother of course).

So I had to get up at 8:30, when I thought briefly that I was going to get to sleep in, and feed the baby. He doesn't give her plain yogurt because he doesn't like it, but she does. Ditto the prunes. Our cutie patooty has issues with constipation, so giving her prunes is a good thing.

What does he come back with from the drugstore with? Medicine- check, cough drops- check and Ben and Jerry's Cherries Garcia Ice Cream. What's that for? His sore throat. Um what?

Who eats ice cream when they have a sore throat? (I mean other than having a sore throat because you had your tonsils removed).

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
My mom used to give me freezer pops - the coldness numbs the throat. I give the boys the medicated freezer pops when they have strep.

My typical routine is salt water gargle for a couple of days and then go to OTC meds if that doesn't help.

I hope he feels better soon so you both can get some sleep (and the rest of your house stays healthy).

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
lol @ Ben and Jerry's Cherries Garcia Ice Cream. popsicles always sound good to me...hope he gets better

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
For a sore throat I use the Chloraseptic throat lozenges, garle with the hottest salt water I can stand, drink lots and lots of hot tea, and sip chicken noodle soup.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
*raiseshand* I eat anything cold or hot. The cold numbs the throat to get a bit of relief. ANd hell, who really needs an excuse to eat ice cream!? ;)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I love hot lemonaide when I have a sore throat. Hot tea, soup, apple cider anything hot. Also anything ice cold feels good.

Get him a bottle of Nyquil it must be liquid not caplets. The liquid coats the throat so that helps a lot. Also something wrapped around the throat to help retain heat either a turtle neck or a scarf helps.

Hope he feels better and you and the baby get a good nights sleep. PS it might be worth sleeping on the couch and giving hubby the bed.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I go get strawberry haagen daaz ice cream when I have a sore throat.

I make sure I get a powerful cough suppressant for nighttime as getting a good nights sleep is pretty important in the healing process... otherwise I just try to drink a lot of tea, eat whatever I can to keep my strength up... and let it run it's course.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess I should also specify that all he ate until dinner was ice cream..............................

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I never eat ice cream. For me it just builds up more mucous.

I do peppermint tea, robitussin for sore throats, chloraseptic, Halls cough drops. Sometimes honey and lemon.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I almost always crave ice cream when I have sore throat. That, or tea with honey.

Hope everyone is healthy in your household soon so everyone can get some sleep!

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Me too. Ice cream soothes it and about all I could eat the last 2 days.

Sore dry throats are annoying for everyone.

I have had a really sore dry throat and the coughing is driving me as nuts as the rest of the family.
I hate not being able to sleep, and being too scared to cough in case I keep anyone awake.
The sound of me sucking cough lollies in the quiet of night must be horrible, and me waking up and to try quietly find it, then quietly open one and quietly suck one while suppressing a cough is horrible.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm not a fan of ice cream, but yea, I can see how that would be soothing.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I never eat ice cream. For me it just builds up more mucous.

I do peppermint tea, robitussin for sore throats, chloraseptic, Halls cough drops. Sometimes honey and lemon.
^ this

As someone with a little more than average knowledge of sore throats (especially as related to singers), I can say that milk-based ANYTHING is TERRIBLE for a sore throat.

Lactose leads to phlegm. The build up of phlegm causes you to need to clear it, meaning coughing or those GRMMMM-sounding throat-clearing noises. All of which bring on more irritation.

Cold is good for shrinking inflamed tissues, so I can see popsicles, etc. But ice cream? No.

Not that ice cream doesn't have a zillion OTHER benefits (god, how I love it!), but treatment for a sore throat, IMHO, isn't one of them.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I like popcicles or tea for a sore throat, but my son always wants McDonald's french fries. He claims that the salt on the fries is the best for a sore throat (the sharp edges sound painful to me).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts