Just Labradors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe what Ernie did to both my husband and I yesterday and we need to get this under control immediately. So yesterday Ernie was out of his crate in the morning and he got pass me thru his designated area. He ran into our bedroom and grabbed a sock. I was able to get the sock out of his mouth and got him back in the crate. Well then I saw he had pocketed a hair scrunchie and had now dropped it in the crate. When I opened the crate door he was sitting and I went to pick up the scrunchie --Ernie proceeded to do a quick snap at my hand :mad: He got the tip of my finger and nearly broke the skin. I was not happy but thought ok this is just a fluke he didn't mean to do that.

Flash forward to yesterday evening and my husband took Ernie for the last walk of the night. As he closed the crate door he noticed Ernie had again pocketed something in his mouth and he dropped it. My husband opened the crate and again he did the quick snap and retreat. Only this time he did break the skin a little :mad: :mad:

How do I go about correcting this behavior?? I know we have been trying to work on LEAVE IT and DROP IT but what is the most effective way of doing this? We don't seem to be speaking the right terms for Ernie. If he does leave it/drop it he will do so for the treat and then lunge right back and get whatever you don't want him to have. He is so quick that you can even get a chance to remove the item out of his reach when he goes for it a second time.

Should I worry that this snap and retreat behavior is aggressive? He only does it once b/c if you close the crate and open it again he is calm and gentle like his normal self.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I'd advise you to get a copy of "MINE" by Jean Donaldson - by far the most comprehensive and effective protocol for dealing with resource guarding.

In the meantime, work on object exchanges with low-value items - with dog on leash, give him say, a sock, then offer a treat and take sock away. Repeat, repeat repeat.

As for the crate thing, it's because he's been backed into a corner, and has no other alternative. (Often this happens when the dog hides under the bed with his treasure). I'd recommend instituting a NILIF programme as well (I like this one: http://www.dragonflyllama.com/ DOGS/Writing/LTD.html )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts