Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.policelink.com/news/articles/110266-houston-k-9-officers-sue-for-overtime-for-dogs-care

I have a mixed reaction to this story. While the law does state that anyone working over 40 hours a week is due some form of additional compensation how many people like teachers for example, always put in more hours just to do a good job.
My bet is some attorney saw $$$$ could be won by suing the city. I would also bet that if the city said, OK leave your dogs here at the city kennel when you go home the officers would scream NO WAY.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I thnk that out of pocket expense should be compensated - beyond that, no. Is what they are doing a job or a vocation? I would hope the latter.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I guess the officers clock out at the end of their shift, right? Clock out with their canine partner? If you're not on the clock you don't get compensated, do you? No, you don't.

I wonder who pays the vet bills for these dogs? The police force or the individual handler?

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I thnk that out of pocket expense should be compensated - beyond that, no. Is what they are doing a job or a vocation? I would hope the latter.
Agreed. As a college instructor, I knew that I would spend alot of "extra" time on schoolwork away from school. This is not a 9 - 5 type job. I knew it coming in and that's ok.

Other than put of pocket expense, no deal. Plus, don't officers sometime adopt their canine when the dog "retires" from the force?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Where I work our K-9 officer is given time on duty (when possible), to do various tasks for the dog. (Purchasing feed, vet, yada yada) Which BTW our city pays for the food and vet expenses. One day a week he meets with the trainer, other days when it's slow, he will take him out to work on obiedence and play with his ball. When our officers opt for the job, they know a head of time what it requires. This sounds like a band wagon to me.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I would expect the city to provide all the necessities for the dog. That includes food, vet, and whatever. If the officer gets those items, his/her time should be paid for. However, the care at home, should be in the contract for the K9 unit members. A position applied for with the understanding that they will care for the dog 24/7 and the compensation is the companionship with the animal.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think they should be reimbursed for medical costs, food, training aids, toys, etc.. for the animals. I don't think they should be paid overtime for having one. It's a companion, and I don't know for sure, but they signed up to have a K-9 right?

The base here has several dogs for drugs, bombs, search & rescue, etc.. They go home with their trainers at night - that's how they form the bond they need! If for some reason the trainer can not keep them (vacation, surgery, whatever...), the base built a really, really nice kennel last year. That is also the place where the trainers and the dogs stay when they are "on duty".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts