Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking for thoughts on this...

A house facing a quiet street, but the backyard is to a 4 lane road (moderately busy). Big concrete wall seperates the yard from teh street.

The sound of the cars is not a big issue for me at all. But I worry abut the polution. Would all that exaust effect either the dogs (not that I would leave them out during the day) or my health? What about plants (say I plant herbs and some veggies)? What about having a BBQ out there? At what point do I worry about fumes?

And yes I know this will effect resale...I won't be the only one asking these questions! The advantage is a longer yard and smaller price in the exact few blocks I want ;)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Yes it will effect your resale value but I know a lot of homes here have their backyard butting up to a main street. As long as the noise isn't bad I wouldn't worry about it.
You can also plant so tall growing shrubs to help with the noise. I would go over about 10pm at night to see how it is when you would be trying to sleep.

I would not think it would be a problem with a BBQ etc unless it is a really busy street that has stop and go traffic during rush hour.

The other thing to remember is all major streets need repairs. You could be living in a noisy dusty zone for months while the put in utilities or repave.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
You can plant a screen of trees or bamboo as close to the wall as possible, to help with noise and pollution. That will help clean the air. A small water feature, like a bubbler, will also help with the noise.

If the house is exactly what you want and the yard is fenced - go for it!

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Our home sits on a busy two lane road. We were unable to sell it because of the busy street in 2006. Everyone that came through commented on its condition being beautiful, pristine but that the street was the only thing preventing them from buying it. They all said "if only it was on a different street".

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Tanya, my mom lives beside/behind the Bluewater Bridge and the black dust that covers everything from the car exhaust, is disgusting.

I would not personally buy a house near a 4 lane road/highway for that reason.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Facing a busy street is much different than having one behind you. I have cousins who have a six-lane divided highway behind them and, aside from the humming tire noise, you would not know it was there. There is less sound and dirt there than at my other cousins who live across a small, quiet, suburban street from a schoolyard and ballfield.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I would hesitate on buying it too. I am one that looks at resale though. If this is a starter home that you know you won't be in long, w/ the economy there is no way I would purchase something that would be a hinderance to buyers. A busy 4 lane road is not attractive be it in the front or back. Most people would avoid for the noise alone.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I am very sensitive to exhaust fumes, so I would not buy it. I think the resell would be a big issue for me as well. Keep looking, it's a buyers market right now, you have plenty to choose from.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys - as my agent said, the opinions on this would be mixed! Given it is so early in my search I will not settle just yet. It is tempting as the yard is abit longer than those facing other backyards ;) But I will see what else the market brings...

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Tanya, my mom lives beside/behind the Bluewater Bridge and the black dust that covers everything from the car exhaust, is disgusting.

I would not personally buy a house near a 4 lane road/highway for that reason.

my thoughts exactly...about the black dust. And black, oily type dust to boot.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Well, I'd go walking through the neighborhood, talk with some of the neighbors.

Get a feel for the house, and the hood. I'd look at it as one less wacko neighbor behind ;)

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I once rented on a busy road. Noise didn't bother me much, but I was dusting black soot off every surface of my home on a daily basis. Seriously. And to think I was also inhaling all that crap. Don't be in a hurry, the perfect home will show up.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I'm going to be the dissenting voice here ... assuming it's something like Hunt Club Rd, I see no reason why that would be a problem. Presumably, the price already reflects this fact that it is behind, so you may get a better deal that on a couple of streets further in. And they have the barriers, so you wouldn't even see anything.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
The resale price willbe affected, but your buying price is similarly affected (in your favor). The time on market will be longer. Not sure what conditions may eventually have you selling, but that may be something to consider.

Road noise? What is the speed limit on that raod? After a few years you may find you wold like a quiet yard and become very unhappy with the road noise. The suggestions are good, but will never give you a backyard that is just you and the sounds of nature.

It is not uncommon for rail lines to run along roadways. I would get out there and make sure there are no rail lines along that road. THAT noise will bother you, and rattle the dishes in your cupboards.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to be the dissenting voice here ... assuming it's something like Hunt Club Rd, I see no reason why that would be a problem. Presumably, the price already reflects this fact that it is behind, so you may get a better deal that on a couple of streets further in. And they have the barriers, so you wouldn't even see anything.

Yes it has a barrier (one of those big walls, to reduce noise) and backs onto Fallowfield road, which sin't super busy on a normal day (moderate??). The house is near the corner of Fallowfield and Woodroff, near the Via Rail/OC Transpo terminals...

which goes to HK's point - I will see about where the train goes...

Growing up our yard backed onto a two lane highway, I grew up to the sound of cars (limit was 70km/hr - which is what I think Fallowfield the road in question above is). I currently live downtown and my windows open to a four lane one way link between downtown and the major road (417 - major highway thru Ottawa) as well as foot traffic. So again, I am used to hearing cars, sirens, people, loud music. I have been there 4 years now, i am very used to teh noise.

I agree with teh above, yes resale price will be affected as it is now (which is why I can afford it).

I will take a second look, absolutely no decisions made yet. I realize the downside you all point out and agree.

·
Registered
21,482 Posts
I personally would not let it bother me. That being said I just about back onto the hwy 400 in ONtario (one of the busiest). In a weird way it's a plus - because much of my city commutes, and here we are steps to the hwy. We also had a long back yard and huge fence for noise - and the pups love it !

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
How long have you been looking? Good things come to those who wait.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts