Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been working on Sam's house training ... FOREVER

Well I've slowly started something that's working really well for him...that is UNTIL SHANE FORGETS AND LEAVES OUR BEDROOM DOOR OPEN :mad:

Now I Just need to figure out a way to train Shane to shut the Dern bedroom doors so Sam can't get in them.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I would recommend crate training, when you can't keep a "total" eye on him, he goes up. It will be fast and simple and I guarantee that he will be trained quicker. Your never going to get your kiddo to remember to close the door 100% of the time, and your just going to piss yourself off. You won't have to keep him crated forever, but it will save your floors and your sanity. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would recommend crate training, when you can't keep a "total" eye on him, he goes up. It will be fast and simple and I guarantee that he will be trained quicker. Your never going to get your kiddo to remember to close the door 100% of the time, and your just going to piss yourself off. You won't have to keep him crated forever, but it will save your floors and your sanity. Just my two cents.
Shane's my boyfriend!! Phoenix (my son) always remembers to shut the doors. :D

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
lol -- is it too much to baby gate EVERY doorway to EVERY bedroom? I would.. just to keep my sanity going and tell Shane to step OVER the baby gate seeings as he can't shut the door ;)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
This.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Crate training is the way to go. No way would I ever let a dog with every day potty problems have free rein in my house.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I feel your pain! Frankie (4!!!!!) is going back in the crate starting tonight. He's been peeing in the livingroom at night. Lastnight he peed TWICE and pooped. :( He doesn't do it during the day when he's out, just at night for some reason.

Yes, use the crate!!

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
crate training works!! I've been helping my son with his puppy. Little guy is 11 weeks old and goes to the door and whines when he needs to potty. Hasn't had an "accident" in weeks.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I feel your pain! Frankie (4!!!!!) is going back in the crate starting tonight. He's been peeing in the livingroom at night. Lastnight he peed TWICE and pooped. :( He doesn't do it during the day when he's out, just at night for some reason.

Yes, use the crate!!
Isn't this frustrating, Amy? My bostons are/were like this. They are fine all day for 10-12 hours, but have problems holding themselves at night. When we lived at our old house, one of them would pee on the floor every night without fail. I've done some behavior modification/changing of routines and I have to say that we are down to probably 2-3 a month as opposed to every day. They won't tolerate being crated at night so I had to think of something else.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Allie, YES! Frustrating as hell!!! I keep the pee mop on the deck now for easy access. I mentioned it the vet a couple of weeks ago and he's pretty sure it's a behavior thing, not that he can't hold it at night. He's being spiteful about something, I swear!

He's never, ever been crated at night so I'm wondering how that's gonna go. :eek:

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Amy, do you feed them twice a day? I found that this helped a lot. They were loading up on food at the end of the day, which would make them thirsty, which in turn would make them want to pee (or wake me up for a drink of water, which pisses me off too, lol). We also now keep our bedroom door closed at night so they do not have access to water and they cannot leave the room to go wandering around to pee. They seem to consider the bedroom their "crate" and do not like to pee in there. They'll go in the bathroom when an accident does happen.

I also used to give them cheese on their food and I decided that it could be too salty for a small dog. Now I don't give them any topper (causing a lot of sad looks and general turning up of the nose, even by Teddy) or give them a very small amount of organic canned food...like a couple small spoonfuls each. If I want to give them something saltier, like salmon or mackerel, I'll do it for breakfast because they never have accidents during the day.

Honestly, I think moving helped as well, even though that's not really a great idea to spur potty training, I know. But we totally broke the routine, broke the area they went to pee in forever, and put them in a new environment.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yep, they get fed twice a day, and he's not huge drinker either. I thought about shutting the bedroom door rather than use the crate. I dunno, I'll decide tonight.

I think he enjoys watching me clean up his mess. He follows me out to the deck while I get the mop, and then watches me clean it up, tail wagging, evil smirk on his face.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll add the crate in as well. :) Sam being crated at night....well I hope the neighbors have thick walls!!!

The only problem he has is if somebody leaves a bedroom door open. We crated him when he was a puppy and he gets crated if I'm going somewhere. Should there be certain times I put him in the crate? Our vet thinks its behavioral. He gets a special poop treat when he goes outside and he KNOWS its what we want him to do, he's just a poop head about it!!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Have Shane clean the mess up. This may remind him to close the door. : )

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have Shane clean the mess up. This may remind him to close the door. : )
BWAHAHAHAHAHA that WON'T HAPPEN

The dogs are MY responsibility as he likes to say...though he is always telling everyone that Sam is his DOG...until I tell him to clean a Sam mess then he meagerly says "He's your puppy."

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
LOL....yep...
SU tells me I feed, train, do potty breaks
he plays and gives treats. LOL

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should hear Shane scream when one jumps up on him. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts