Just Labradors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the more we look at houses, the more we like our house. :-\ We have it so customized to us. We've spent 13 years faux-painting, updating and upgrading, landscaping, etc. Everything we have seen just doesn't have "us" in it. :-[

We saw the inside of the Meditteranean one. Very small with teeny bathrooms and closets. It did have an awesome set-up for the boys - complete with doggie door already installed! They have a Rottie. And the yard was fantastic. Very flat.

We also looked at the inside of the that backs up to the woods. The realtor had done a little fixing up of the inside, and the closets weren't terrible, especially for a 70's home. But we couldn't get both cars in the garage, and we would actually be going down in yard. Most of the lot is sloped and heavily wooded. :(

I looked at the outside of one today that is across the street from the Meditteranean. AWESOME backyard, and it looked from the windows as though this realtor has done quite a lot of fixing up, and maybe even to our taste.

There's also another that is waaaay out on a peninsula of the neighboring lake. You pass several farms to get to it. :) Way out in the country. Takes about 20 minutes just to get out to the main road. But it's on a very quiet street that will always be quiet. There is nowhere else to build out there, unless they start buying farms. Which they may, but not for a while I'd say. Anyway, it's a VERY odd circa 1974 house. Wood and stone. Nothing else remotely like it in the neighborhood. About a mile or half-mile away, right on the lake, is one that's on the market for $890,000 :eek: That's a LOT for our city. The next door neighbors of the '74 house are very new and quite nice. This, again, is the blight of the neighborhood. But possible potential. I am intrigued with the potential, and so is Kevin. But it would take a LOT of work to make it what we would want. But it has 1.6 acres, and is mostly flat. It would be a great place for the dogs to live...BUT, it would isolate them. Neither of us would be able to make it home at lunch. :(

That's the down side of trying to find something with a little more land. It puts us out of town and far away from the boys.

Then I was just sitting here, thinking about moving, and looked down at the window sill where Crash always used to scratch his chin. He would rub and rub his chin on that sill. I can't look at it without thinking of him. There is so much of him here, in spirit. Not to mention he is buried here. :'(

We have a rental next door though, and a new duplex across the street. The rental next door is getting bad. I hear ceilings are falling in and I know it's had a mold problem for quite some time. Surely it's not going to attract a good element.

Sigh.

This is the rub. We have sort of outgrown this neighborhood. But we have put our heart and soul into this house. It is so nice for us. It's the only place we've ever lived together. Literally, all our memories are here. We have upgrades that are far beyond the value of this neighborhood. Will anyone care for it and love it as much as us? Will they rip out all my landscaping? Will they paint over all my faux finishes? Most of all, will Crash be happy resting here without us?

It's all so...I dunno. I am having so much fun looking, but when I think about *really* doing it, really saying goodbye never to come back...gulp. :'(

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Connie, I know what you mean. I poured my heart, soul and a goodly part of my bank balance into my house in CA. I hate to think about what has happened to it or my garden. But when I was ready to leave, I was ready. Other people had taken joy there before me, and will do so after me. And I've had no (OK very few small ones) regrets since leaving, my life has gotten so much better and gone places I'd not have been able to predict.

And Crash will be with you wherever you are. It's his spirit that is most important and what lives on. The rest of him will just remain to make that place more special to someone whether they realize the reason or not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts