Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check it out! Here is what I think needs to happen to this house.

Before:

After:

Anyone care to take a wild guess what construction cost might be to do something like this? BTW, I'm not necessarily saying shorten the roof/overhang. Just moving the door, adding windows, and maybe painting the aluminum siding. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
25K minimium

Construction labor is very expensive.

Just to add a 12x16 4 season porch to my house will cost me 40K

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Somebody has ben Photo shoppin'. I couldn't guess I'm not sure on the going rate for carpenters in your area. The walls would have to be opened to install the headers over the new windows and doors,that isn't much in materials but the labor will add up. Good Low E windows (4) and a good entrance door can add up too. You could shorten the overhang if you were due for a new roof anyway.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Are you planning to fully enclose the porch? Regardless, you'll need to contact the local planning department and explain what you want to do. They will very likely need drawings of some sort. You'll need to look at the Zoning Bylaws and see if you're even allowed to add more floor area to the house (once you close in a deck, it becomes additional floor area). You may need to strengthen the footings and joists to support the additional loads. This may mean that a Structural Engineer will be required to sign off on the design (depends on your local requirements). Basically, before you do anything, speak to the folks at City Hall and ensure you can do what you plan and that you have all proper permits in place (At the minimum you will need a Building Permit and probably an Electrical Permit. If you're adding a new bathroom or kitchen, you'll need a plumbing permit). If your contractor says you don't need permits, fire him on the spot and hire a different one.

I can't estimate cost because I don't know the industry where you are. Here, renovations typically run around $200/sq. ft. and up, depending on the level of complexity and quality of finishes.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Can't help with the cost. Did you remove the porch/overhang in the after shot? For some reason I find it looks to sterile, almost like a office building in the after. I really prefer the before shot.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cam, the deck is already closed in. Maybe it's hard to tell in the picture. It has iron railings (white). We would just replace those railings with something different.

And no, I didn't get rid of the overhang in the second shot, it just looks like it. But yes labs4life, it probably does need a new roof too, so I guess we could shorten it if we decided to.

I like the sterile look. Modern. ;) I adore the idea of something that doesn't look like a traditional house.

Thanks for the ballpark Hunter! 25K to make such a big change to the look of the house doesn't sound like a deal-breaker to me...?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
buddysmom said:
Can't help with the cost. Did you remove the porch/overhang in the after shot? For some reason I find it looks to sterile, almost like a office building in the after. I really prefer the before shot.
That's what I thought, too. But I do like the adobe paint color on the upper level.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe the roofline needs to be shortened, but left over the front door after it is moved.

The way the front door is now, it just says "Meh." Nothing. Blah. It needs a little more drama around the main entrance.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
What about the flat roof? As a child our house had a flat roof, and I remember it leaking all the time. My Dad was constantly up on the roof. That was a long time ago, so maybe they have better products out now to seal the roof.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Champs Mom said:
What about the flat roof? As a child our house had a flat roof, and I remember it leaking all the time. My Dad was constantly up on the roof. That was a long time ago, so maybe they have better products out now to seal the roof.
Vulcanized rubber roofing works well. It's like one big sealed rubber sheet.

Entrance doors really can make or break the look of a house. I know we planned to spend some serious coin when we replace ours. I've seen the literature lying around and solid oak with twin stain glassed sidelites and transom won't be cheap.

Please don't use the word "pop" when describing the decorating. It makes me cringe.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
AngusFangus said:
The way the front door is now, it just says "Meh." Nothing. Blah. It needs a little more drama around the main entrance.
Just invite a bunch of us JL'ers over to camp out by the front door and talk about anything but our dogs. There'll be plenty of drama in no time! ;D

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
buddysmom said:
I tend to agree. It reminds me of an old school house in the second picture.
Nice grounds!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I like the picture! No idea on the construction though :p

So are you planning on just changing the color and adding a full row of windows? Or actually building in the porch, like putting up walls where the white railings are now? What railings would you do if you're not closing in the porch? (Maybe I'm being dense here and need to go get my glasses, I can't see the picture that well!)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
IzzyLucyWillie said:
buddysmom said:
I tend to agree. It reminds me of an old school house in the second picture.
Nice grounds!
I agree. I actually like the contrast of the white against the brick. Maybe choose a diff contrast color?

·
Registered
145 Posts
No idea of the cost in your area, but have you ever seen "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy? If you haven't seen it you must watch it while you're in the grip of renovation fever. Even if you've seen it, watch it again.

By the way, the location and yard sound absolutely great!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please don't use the word "pop" when describing the decorating. It makes me cringe.
Don't worry. ;) No wait...actually now I think I will use in repeatedly and in reference to everything, just to irritate you. :D (Seriously...I'm an art director...I hear "pop" about ninety times per day)

So, seriously? No one likes my redo? :'( I sent it to Kevin and his words were, "Cool. Much better." ???

Well, you know what, I tried some railing on it, and it ruins the modern look for me. I think the less, the better in terms of railing. So, yes, it needs some kind of railing, but I'm not sure what that should be. ?

Any of you guys ever watch Extreme Homes on HGTV? Or "What's With That House?" This is where Kevin and I are coming from with the design. ;)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I am fan of architecture. My home preference is toward two story Victorians and classic timberframe constructions. WTBS, the house you are looking at can be renovated to whatever you want. The only thing I find tacky is when someone tries to make a small ranch house look like a Greek revival. or 2 story colonial. Some houses lend to a particular look some don't.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Only one more hour till our walk through! ;D

I was just thinking, maybe it if looks like a school house, we need a big old bell on the top? ;D

J

·
0 Posts
I like the first pic better too. But you know what? That doesnt matter. What matter is what YOU like.
I've had more than one person tell me that I was moving to the Ghetto and I was insane for buying the house that I am. I dont care. The house/location makes me happy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts