Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Koda has a rash under her leg .. by her belly.. what do people use on dogs for something like that?

On the positive.. her incision looks great.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I know quite few people who use Gold Bond powder. Didn't do much for Deacon, so I now use a steroid/antibiotic spray

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there something i can get at a drugstore or something?

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I didn't have luck with the gold bond either.

The shaving alone tends to do wonders for some reason. I deal with skin issues with Holly a lot so I always have the sprays and solutions on hand. But if you could just keep it clean and then put hydrocortisone on it, it might do the trick. If she's licking or chewing at it too much, she may need the cone of despair again.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I have used Neosporin on rashes when the girls would get them. But just watch it to see if it gets worse. Molly had little bumps on her belly, but the were raised, not a flat rash, and it ended up to be a staph infection. The vet put he ron an antibiotic & it cleared up right away.
Can you get a picture of it?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah.. let me try and get a picture.. it's like trying to photograph the belly of an octopus though.. she's not exactly cooperative. =)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm.. maybe it's a bruise.. it looked a lot more red yesterday..

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Looks like a bruise but if it is open raw rash/hot spot you need to shave it and keep it dry. I think that is what the Gold Bond powder attempts to do. I would try neosporin or cortizone cream on it if it is a rash but if it is open and raw cortizone burns so go with the neosporin.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the yellow makes me think bruise.. does that make sense? i couldn't see it before i took the pic.. man i love digicams..

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The yellow part in the middle is curious, makes me think bruise. If it is a staph infection, that is an easy cure too. Whatever you do, don't take her to that er vet again, LOL! No telling what he'd suggest :)

found this on bruising:

Step2
Go over the animals body slowly, moving fur aside every inch or so. Look for any changes in color. Specifically look for blue, brown or yellow areas.
Step3
Press on the spot with your hand. See if the animal pulls away in pain. This verifies that it's a bruised area.
Step4
Determine if the bruise is hard or raised. If so, it might not be a bruise but a cyst or tumor.
Step5
Look to see if the fur is thinning in that area. That would also indicate a bigger problem.
Step6
Figure out how old the bruise is. There are essentially two types--bruises that are new and bruises that are several weeks old. You can tell because older bruises are yellowed in color.
Step7
Treat the bruise by placing a cold compress on it. Hold it there for 10 minutes, if possible.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Great job with the picture. It doesn't look like a staph infection. Molly had a rash with red bumps. That looks more like a bruise Kelli.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts