Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just passing this along. Learn something everyday!!

Horses' teeth are not completely covered in smooth, hard enamel, like dogs, cats, or humans. Instead, they are largely covered with a material called cementum, which is a little softer and much more porous than enamel. Cementum has a tendency to absorb pigments from the plants that horses eat, causing the yellow to brown and even black staining on their teeth. This is normal in the horse and does not need to be removed.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes sense though, as horses teeth continue to grow throughout their lives, that's why we have their teeth "floated" periodically.

Just often wondered why my horses teeth looked so brown and discolored. Now I know!!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Been reading EQUUS, have we? :D

I have been getting the magazine since 1980 without any breaks. And still have 90% of them. Plus I managed to get the first 23 issues I was missing....

I love them for references. And to see how things have changed! I still have the issues where Potomic Horse fever was a brand-new, unknown disease... banamine was just released....West Nile was new.... :cool:

Lucy

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, not Equus. I'm on a horse forum and horse vet site. They post lots of articles about horse stuff. I get emailed articles. It's kinda fun to get this stuff in my email :)

It's thehorse.com. They send out a horse health newsletter.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ah, OK- I used to get those, too.

They just has an article in this month's issue about that... :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Read that recently in one of my horse mags. That's why horse teeth always look so bad. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts