Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday Night - Thank you so much everyone for the prayers. He does seem comfortable and in good spirits, he was very happy to eat the watermelon I brought him (usually only a special summer treat) although he's not crazy about his bute - even though it's peppermint flavored. He was still chewing on anything I brought in the stall and chasing the dogs away from his grain bucket, just like the last 13 years :happy: Per our vet's advice he is in a very deeply bedded stall with all the hay he can eat.

The fracture is on the lateral proximal tibia and about 1/3 down the fibula. It looks like a rock hit a windshield on the radiographs. We don't know how it happened, but it was most likely a kick from another horse. There is a tiny puncture wound but no other sign of trauma. He will put weight on it, but has trouble turning around in his stall :( Our vet consulted with the other vets in her practice, and a surgeon at University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center. She says she's "cautiously optimistic" that with strict rest he might heal. So long as he's in good spirits and not in too much pain we're going to try keeping him in and seeing if the leg heals. Now it's just prayers that the leg heals and he doesn't founder in the meantime.

Thank you all again for the support and prayers.

:'( Paul fractured his leg in the pasture, right through the center of the tibia and fibula. I think I'm still in shock. I haven't seen the radiographs yet, but our vet (who I love, Paul does too) said it might heal with at least three months of strict stall rest. He seems comfortable, is still eating and has his ears up, according to my family. I'm leaving school early to go see him. Any spare prayers would be greatly appreciated for my guy :(

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Re: Horse People - Prayers/Good thoughts please?

You got it. Let us know how he is when you get home.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts

Prayers and good thoughts that Paul heals completely and soundly, and is comfy with his 'house arrest.' Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

Oh no :(

Good thoughts and prayers are on the way for Paul.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

You got em.

I know of a horse that had that happen and he did fine. They did cast the leg though.
Hoping Paul does well.

Do you know what happened??

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

You got them for sure

·
Registered
3,414 Posts

Good thoughts headed your way. I hope Paul heals quickly and well.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts

Healing thoughts on the way. Give that gorgeous guy a hug and kiss for me, too.

·
Registered
995 Posts

Sending prayers and good thoughts.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts

Sending Paul good thoughts. He's beautiful.

·
Registered
702 Posts

Awwww poor Paul. I have to say though the riding school I work at has a gelding who fractured his leg in the same spot. He had strict stall rest and has healed completely. It was a slow recovery for him though. He did seem to enjoy his vacation though since he got lots of extra lovings from all the kids and staff. ~~~~~~Healing Vibes~~~~~~~~~~ coming Pauls way.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Good thoughts for Paul! In my experience with horses if no short cuts are taken and vets advice is followed they can recover from what seems to be horrific injuries.

Anyway hope he recovers well, he is a handsome chap!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

he is breathtaking. prayers and good throughts here.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts

Good thoughts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts