Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Toby's white/pink nose, I worry about sunburn. Any suggestions on what, if anything, I should use? Zinc oxide maybe? TIA.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
With Toby's white/pink nose, I worry about sunburn. Any suggestions on what, if anything, I should use? Zinc oxide maybe? TIA.

Well I didn't have the slighest idea, but knew someone who would, our Tack Manager says just use the same sunscreen on it as you use on you. He said they make one for horses, but it's the same thing, except they charge a lot more for the horse one.

He's very sharp on those products so just use it.;)

Besides that he needs to do something useful today.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Thanks Glen. I hope Tobes likes Coppertone. ;)

Glad to help, since I'm at work and have the resources we might as well use them.

We've got 3 here at work today that would have been useful.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I do appreciate it. Any time I can save some money is a good thing. I'd hate to have his nose blister.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just the same stuff we use is fine, or buy him one of those cool fly masks with the nose shield.

We've tried to use masks on our cremello colt, but his buddies grab it and lead him around- till it comes undone and I gotta go find it again.

Lucy

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I dont know if you can get it over there but SUDOCREM over here its used on babies for nappy rash etc but we use that on Boss in the summer as even the horsey sun cream didnt protect him only sudocrem stops him from gettin burnt

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I never knew horses could get sunburns! My sister had an albino for several years and never put anything on him to prevent sunburn, but he never seemed to have a problem.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I never knew horses could get sunburns! My sister had an albino for several years and never put anything on him to prevent sunburn, but he never seemed to have a problem.

Actually, there are no true albinos in horses. What she has was either a cremello or perlino. A white, pink skinned horse with blue eyes. They are bay, black or chestnut horses with a double creme gene, turning "red" hair to cream/white and "black" hair to a pewter color. And it turns their normally black skin to a pinkish color- but it isn't pink like Toby's muzzle. His muzzle has no pigment in it, so it will sunburn ( and tan later in the summer) But a cream horse's skin DOES have pigment in it, it's just modified. And they don't sunburn!

I just love color genetics! :D

Lucy

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Does that mean Toby is a Dudley?:D

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I use sunscreen...spf 30 and it usually lasts 2 days. I put on in the evening so it can soak up before the morning dew rinses it away (on the nose area from grazing).

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I'll add this, a bit off topic, but may be useful. If your horses get around loud noises they make sound muffling ear plugs for them. I got our tack manager to get us some because some of my customers that do the Cowboy Mounted Shooting asked for them.

Any good tack supplier should be able to get them.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
We always used whatever we used on ourselves.
The summers here are brutal. My horses are in during the day and turned out in the evenings, so coats and noses don't get near the sun damage. I know that's not always feasible though.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, he's a Paint with a blaze, consequently he has a white/pink nose. ;)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is no barn for them to go in, but there is a horse house. Dot and Gracie usually go into the house, but everytime I go out there, Toby is outside. Even though Gracie is in the house a lot, she's getting sunburned already. I want to avoid that with Toby if possible. If there was a barn, I'd but them in during the day, but it's not an option.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Actually, there are no true albinos in horses. What she has was either a cremello or perlino. A white, pink skinned horse with blue eyes. They are bay, black or chestnut horses with a double creme gene, turning "red" hair to cream/white and "black" hair to a pewter color. And it turns their normally black skin to a pinkish color- but it isn't pink like Toby's muzzle. His muzzle has no pigment in it, so it will sunburn ( and tan later in the summer) But a cream horse's skin DOES have pigment in it, it's just modified. And they don't sunburn!

I just love color genetics! :D

Lucy
Thank you for that information! Marauder was blindingly white with blue eyes, pink skin, and a roman nose. Poor boy was ugly as sin, but he could turn around a barrel like he was hinged in the middle!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts