Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I think I'd kill myself trying to work both feet and mount. Either that, or the horse would die laughing at me!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Seen them, but never used them or seen them used. Seems like a good idea, and if I was trail riding again I would probably try it. I don't think mine or Paul's back could handle scampering up on branches or hauling myself up 16.1 hands from the ground anymore :) Are you going to order it?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I might. I can't mount from the ground anymore with my knee so I thought to give it a try. If it doesn't work there's always ebay to sell it, right? ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Use a mounting block. Easier on you and the horse's back.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
A mounting block is much safer and easier on your horse and rider. Experienced and knowledgeable riders (keywords experienced and knowledgeable) know how to mount on a long iron and then retract it to their correct length when necessary. Not something a beginner should be doing.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Well a mounting block won't do it for you out on a trail. Looks like you could give it a try Laura. It just looks like an english stirrup to me though.

I can just barely get on Gandy out in the field. I try to find low spots to put her in ;)

Hmm, maybe carry a shovel to dig a low spot, LOL!!

If you try it, let us know how it works.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I do when I first mount, but if I get down for any reason, I can't get back up since I'm not dragging the mounting block with me. ;)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pat, western stirrups aren't as easy to take up and down by yourself like an English stirrup.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well when you're by yourself, that won't work either. lol

Plus the last time someone tried to give me a leg up, I still couldn't get up. I mount on the reconstructed knee. The knee holds for most things, but I can't get the oomph I need to get on Toby's back.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I taught Geym to parallel park alongside stuff- stumps, fence, you name it. He was pretty good about it most of the time...

Lucy

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know someone that has used them. In fact I help pick her up off the ground. I do feel you pain with the knee situation though, I have since learned to mount from the other side. BTW other than QH I also train Clydesdales that I have learn to get on from the ground. Good Luck

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you mean you picked her up off the ground. Mounting on the off side is not an option for me, since my right knee is worse than my left and it's not stable at all. I'd blow out the one remaining ligament and have to get that darn knee replacement if I even tried. ;)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Never seen a "formal" one for sale but my riding days ended many many years ago.

However when I was a teen one of my friends BR was handicapped and couldn't mount in the field also due to back problems he couldn't lift himself that high.

But he had a homemade version of that and with a well trained horse he was able to get on and off with no problem.

I think the key would be to get Toby use to your mounting in 3 steps instead of the usual 2 step foot in stirup then pull up swing other leg over process.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use a wooden homemade mounting block now.

He's good about standing next to it and waiting for me to climb on. I even slipped a leg over him from the mounting block to ride him bareback.

I used to be able to grab a handful of mane and swing up. Those days are over. lol

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I used to be able to grab a handful of mane and swing up. Those days are over. lol
I'm impressed, I was NEVER able to do that! :D

Lucy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts