Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Actually, 2. One was just a little girl with a wrist sprain. The other was a woman who was lunging her 6 year old green horse, which decided to back up & rear at the same time. She had the lunge line intertwined in her fingers at the time. Her middle finger of her left hand was crossed completely over the fourth (third? are we counting the thumb?) finger, and curved up in a very distinct "U", pointing at the middle knuckle of her pinky. No blood, no protruding bone, but OMG, it just looked so awful. Something about joints bent completely the wrong way just makes my skin crawl. *blrrghgglrrhhgghhlllgrrgghh!* Yuck.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Ooww! Ick, ouch!
Makes my skin crawl too.

A lesson to be learned--never ever loop your lead line or lunge line around your hand, wrist, or any other body part. One of the first lessons my barn taught.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I am cringing just thinking about that finger. Hopefully they gave her some real good drugs before they moved it back into place.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
ER's have lots of happy drugs, I've went away "happy" a few times from one.;)

Hope you foks wern't real busy and they could get in right away.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ER's have lots of happy drugs, I've went away "happy" a few times from one.;)

Hope you foks wern't real busy and they could get in right away.
She wasn't seen right away, but she was in pretty quick. It was a big trauma day yeaterday. As soon as the weather gets nice, people go outside & hurt themselves.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Yep I've been to the ER a couple times on nice weekends, with medical problems that couldn't wait and the place was full of accidents. Got stuck in a ob/gyn room one time for about 4 hours till some lady needed it and they moved me to a different room.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Hey T, one of the lawyer's I used to work for (and now my friend) used to exercise the horses at Woodbine Racetrack for close to 20 years. Anyways, the first day I met her I noticed she had about 1/3 of her ring finger missing.

It took me a few months to get to know her so I could ask her what happened, but it was similar to your ER lady.

She was switching a horse from stall one to stall two, and was lazy and didn't go get a lead, instead she used baling twine. The horse spooked, and pulled, and the baling twine cut the tip of her finger off. She was about 17/18 at the time.

Gross, huh?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not the blood so much as the vomit. You do get used to it somewhat, but having someone barf in front of me still makes me queasy. I am pretty sure it's the smell. I have immense respect for the nurses who actually have to touch it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts