Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We seem to have quite the little group of horror movie junkies. Other than the biggies (Poltergeist, The Ring, The Omen, etc...) who has some good horror movie recommendations? (I'll have to check my Netflix account to see what I've seen recently before I post...)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
The Innocents

Rosemary's Baby

The Brood

Amityville Horror

Pet Sematary *double shudder* (the guy that gets hit by the truck is forever ingrained in my mind)

The Shining *shudder*

Salem's Lot *shudder*

The Mist *shudder( (very disturbing ending, for me, anyway)

Seven

The Silence of the Lambs *shudder*

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)

The Changeling

28 Days Later

The Exorcist

Cloverfield

The Ring

The Blair Witch Project

The Thing

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I like the old ones. About a month ago I watched the original Cape Fear with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum, much better than the remake. I liked all the Alfed Hitchcock movies, too many to name. Then there's Edgar Allen Poe movies, old black and white, The Raven, Hound of the Baskervilles. These old black and whites are the ones that are scary, not today's slasher movies. They are just gorey, even though I enjoy a good one of those now and again too.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
One of my favorites - Halloween!
Jeepers Creepers is another favorite of mine.
Wrong Turn, another that I can watch over and over....holy **** scary!
The Strangers is scary as all get out!
Wolf Creek, creepy!
Vacancy, really creepy!!
Cabin Fever, bloody scary!
Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I liked the original as well as the remake.

I like backwoods creepy stuff myself. Wrong Turn, Wolf Creek, Cabin Fever & TCM fit right in to that category!!
Oh, and a cheesy movie I saw on SciFi that scared the hell out of me because Bigfoot has terrified me since I was little - ABOMINABLE. :eek:

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
One of my favorites - Halloween!
Jeepers Creepers is another favorite of mine.
Wrong Turn, another that I can watch over and over....holy **** scary!
The Strangers is scary as all get out!
Wolf Creek, creepy!
Vacancy, really creepy!!
Cabin Fever, bloody scary!
Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I liked the original as well as the remake.

I like backwoods creepy stuff myself. Wrong Turn, Wolf Creek, Cabin Fever & TCM fit right in to that category!!
Oh, and a cheesy movie I saw on SciFi that scared the hell out of me because Bigfoot has terrified me since I was little - ABOMINABLE. :eek:
I like the ones you mentioned too. Wrong Turn was cool!

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've actually been watching a lot of foreign horror and thrillers.

I HIGHLY recommend the Vengeance trilogy which is by Korean Chan Wook Park:

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (about a kidnapping that goes wrong)
Oldboy (about an imprisoned man who tries to put his life back together after release)
Lady Vengeance (about a woman out to avenge the murders of children)

The Orphanage (Mexican: about a woman who buys an orphanage that is haunted by creepy kids)

Let the Right One In (Swedish about a 12 year old boy who befriends a vampire)

Night Watch
Day Watch (Russian: the first two installments of a trilogy about about supernatural Night Watchers who patrol against the evils that lurk in the night)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Wrong Turn was cool!
The whole inbred-backwoods-people-eating-brothers is what got me! :eek:

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also love the Final Destination movies. I will NEVER drive behind a truck full of lumber. Ever!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh yea Missy, the 2nd one was great!! The other ones - meh.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Oh yea Missy, the 2nd one was great!! The other ones - meh.
The first one was good too. I don't know of anything quite as shocking as that girl stepping off the curb and getting creamed by the bus.

I didn't see any of the others. I watched most of the first one through my fingers. I don't do scary movies typically. I can't handle the stress.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The first one was good too. I don't know of anything quite as shocking as that girl stepping off the curb and getting creamed by the bus.

I didn't see any of the others. I watched most of the first one through my fingers. I don't do scary movies typically. I can't handle the stress.
OMG...I laughed so hard when the chick got creamed by the bus. That was awesome! And being a roller coaster junkie the 3rd bothered me on a more personal level.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
The ONLY horror movie to ever really rattle me was "The Exorcist." After watching it, I felt like a dishrag that had been wrung dry.

Most of the others -- okay, probably ALL of the others -- I just find.... stupid after a while.

ONE or TWO stand out, but the rest, sorry, are junk.

Notable exceptions (that haven't been mentioned yet, 'cause, yeah, I loved The Silence of the Lambs) ---

Les Diabolique ORIGINAL VERSION, please. French film w/subtitles. B&W. Threw down the gauntlet so daringly for Hitch that, jealous over the audience reactions, he (Hitch) countered w/Psycho.

The Haunting ORIGINAL VERSION, please. The granddaddy of haunted house movies. Incredibly directed by Robert Wise.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i love horror movies! and yet i found the final destination movies disturbing on a psychological level.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
i love horror movies! and yet i found the final destination movies disturbing on a psychological level.
I know what you mean. Sometimes in an ordinary day when I'm going to dry my hair or something, I think of this movie and I'm extra careful with the cord! I'm not kidding, either.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I like the older movies--The Exorcist, original Omen, Rosemary's Baby. I love Silence of the Lambs, too. I actually like the psychological aspect the The Saw movies--but they are really gory and hard to watch sometimes. I only saw up to 3 or 4, I think.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts