Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about Karissa when she first went missing. May her little soul finally be able to rest. :'(

http://thechronicleherald.ca/News/1104017.html

Dying Karissa's last words: Mommy, don't!
Mother killed her little girl to save love life
By BEVERLEY WARE South Shore Bureau
Sat. Jan 31 - 12:48 PM

Penny Boudreau is led back to cells of the Bridgewater courthouse on Friday after pleading guilty to killing her daughter Karissa. (DARREN PITTMAN / Staff)

PLACES OF INTEREST IN BOUDREAU MURDER CASE

Click for detailed map

MURDER CHRONOLOGY:

Jan. 28, 2008 – The Bridgewater Police Service asks for public assistance locating 12-year-old Karissa Boudreau, reportedly last seen by her mother the evening before. She said they’d argued in the parking lot of the Bridgewater mall.
Jan. 29 – Penny Boudreau appears at a news conference sobbing, pleading for Karissa to come home.
Jan. 30 – Family, neighbours and friends spend hours searching for Karissa.
Feb. 1 – Penny Boudreau makes another emotional plea for Karissa to return. Police are unable to confirm that she and Karissa were in the parking lot when she said she last saw the girl.
Feb. 2 – Police say reported sightings in New Brunswick were not Karissa.
Feb. 6 – Divers and searchers in helicopters find no sign of Karissa in or along the LaHave River.
Feb. 7 – Karissa’s father Paul Boudreau says he suspects foul play in her disappearance.
Feb. 9 – A body is found on the bank of the LaHave just outside Bridgewater town limits.
Feb. 14 – The body is identified as Karissa’s, using dental records. Police say she was murdered. Mourners begin placing teddy bears and other items at the spot where her body was found.
Feb. 16 – Two people, never identified, who were arrested in connection with the murder are released without charges.
Feb. 19 – Karissa’s funeral is held in Barrington.
Feb. 23 – Hundreds mourn Karissa at a memorial service in Bridgewater.
Feb. 25 – Penny Boudreau is taken to hospital for unknown reasons.
Feb. 26 – Hundreds of bears left at the memorial site are collected to be cleaned and given to children.
Feb. 27 – Neighbours report police have visited the apartment of Penny Boudreau and boyfriend Vernon Macumber after loud fights.
Mar. 19 – Police say they’re waiting on DNA evidence as part of the investigation.
June 14 – Police arrest Penny Boudreau in Halifax and announce she’ll be charged with first degree murder in her daughter’s death.
June 16 – Bridgewater residents heckle Penny Boudreau as she makes her first court appearance. She is ordered to have no contact with Vernon Macumber, Paul Boudreau and others who will be crown witnesses.
Oct. 22 – Penny Boudreau waives her right to a preliminary inquiry.
Dec. 4 – Penny Boudreau elects trial by jury.
Jan. 27, 2009 – More than 200 people gather at a vigil to mark the anniversary of Karissa’s disappearance.
Jan. 30 – Penny Boudreau pleads guilty to the second degree murder of her daughter.

MOMMY, DON’T!" Karissa Boudreau cried as her mother crushed her into the cold, dark ground with her knees on her chest. Penny Boudreau wrapped a piece of twine around her hands, put it around her daughter’s neck and yanked with all her strength.

The last thing Karissa would have seen was her mother’s eyes fixed on her as the very hands that had cradled her as a baby tightened the twine around her neck and strangled the life out of her.

RELATED
» Click here for more coverage of the case
» How could she have done it?
» Click here to see reader comments from Friday

The woman who was supposed to treasure and love Karissa above all else felt her daughter struggle beneath her and looked at her trapped hands digging at the ground. She pulled tight until Karissa struggled no more.

And she was "jovial" as she told an undercover agent nearly five months later what she had done.

Ms. Boudreau admitted in Bridgewater provincial court Friday morning to killing her daughter and then dumping the 12-year-old’s body by the LaHave River, but not before dropping by Tim Hortons to throw out the incriminating twine, while her daughter’s body was stuffed in the front seat of the car.

And she did it because she didn’t want to lose her boyfriend. She told the undercover operative she "would do anything for Vernon and the thought of losing him was harder than the thought of losing her daughter."

Defence lawyer Patrick Atherton told the court: "What demons plagued Penny Boudreau on that day . . . she and God only know."

His client pleaded guilty at the "earliest practical opportunity," he said. She "wishes to express her remorse for her actions on that day" and also "wishes she could have that day back again," he told the court.

VICIOUS, UNPROVOKED
But Justice Margaret Stewart described it as "an unprovoked, vicious killing," and Ms. Boudreau’s tearful televised plea for her daughter’s safe return, and her tears in court, as nothing more than "crocodile tears."

The judge told her she killed her daughter "for a reason no more significant than Penny Boudreau’s selfish desire to guarantee a love life that had no room for a child. . . . Surely, Penny Boudreau, you can never call yourself a mother in conjunction with Karissa again."

When asked if she had anything to say to the court, Ms. Boudreau — thinner than in past court appearances — cried and said, "I’m sorry," and quickly sat down, her words barely audible inside the hushed courtroom.

LIFE IN PRISON
She sentenced Ms. Boudreau to life in prison. She cannot apply for parole until June 20, 2028, which is 20 years from the date of her arrest. However, under Canada’s "faint-hope" clause, she can ask a jury to consider her early release application in 15 years. If a jury finds in her favour, she may then apply to the parole board for release.

She is also banned from possessing firearms, ammunition, explosives and some other weapons for the rest of her life and must provide a DNA sample.

Some of the people in the courtroom — mainly relatives, family friends and officers involved in the case — openly sobbed when they heard the details of Karissa’s death.

Paul Scovil, the Crown attorney, praised police for handing him an iron-clad case that led to the guilty plea. He said they did a "fantastic job in investigating this matter and bringing us a file that meant that it was in such good condition and so strong we didn’t have to go through a trial and we were in the driver’s seat."

Ms. Boudreau was initially charged with first-degree murder but pleaded guilty to the included offence of second-degree murder.

"All in all it was the right thing to do," Mr. Scovil said, because it spared the family and community a lengthy trial but still ensured a life sentence.

"A life sentence for second-degree murder is the same as a life sentence for first-degree murder," said fellow Crown attorney Denise Smith.

She said the jointly recommended 20 years without parole "was a fit and appropriate resolution, taking into account the life sentence, regardless of whether it was first-degree or second."

Karissa’s dad, Paul Boudreau, said it was important for him and his family to get this case resolved, and they support the joint recommendation.

PENN, HOW COULD YOU?
Karissa’s body was found Feb. 9, 2008, by a nine-year-old boy whose mother had pulled over so that he could use the washroom. He went over to the embankment for privacy and saw toes sticking out of the snow.

Two days later, neighbours in the Jubilee Road apartment building where Ms. Boudreau lived with Vernon Macumber told police they could hear the couple arguing. He said over and over again, "Penn, how could you do this?" He said he was disgusted with her.

But Ms. Boudreau was caught only because of an elaborate police sting that started out with the police planting an undercover officer in the Bridgewater cell Mr. Macumber was held in when he was first questioned in the case Feb. 14.

The officer got no information at the time but persuaded Mr. Macumber he was part of a crime syndicate and could get work for him.

"A wide-scale undercover operation began utilizing a number of scenarios to gain the trust of Macumber," Mr. Scovil said.

They met up again after the couple moved to Halifax in April and Mr. Macumber told the agent he suspected Ms. Boudreau had killed her daughter. Mr. Scovil said Mr. Macumber told the agent "he was still living with her in order to keep her close so she would not implicate him in the homicide."

The agents then persuaded Mr. Macumber they needed a woman to help on a job. He got Ms. Boudreau to meet with them, and then, Mr. Scovil said, she "became very active with the undercover operators and their work."

In June, she met with another undercover operative who persuaded her he could "make her problem go away" but that he needed to know her whole story before he could help her.

Ms. Boudreau told him everything. She said Mr. Macumber had told her she had to make a choice — him or Karissa — and she said Mr. Macumber had nothing to do with the murder.

HATCHING THE PLAN
Ms. Boudreau said she had been thinking about killing Karissa for a few days and on Jan. 27 of 2008, she did it.

She drove her to Lunenburg and back in her red Neon so they could talk. They were angry with each other, so Ms. Boudreau "did what she had to do."

She said she didn’t want Karissa badmouthing her as a mother, or coming between her and Mr. Macumber. Snow was predicted that evening, so she knew she was going to kill her then.

She drove to Sobeys, just as she had told police, but then the story changes. She went into Sobeys to pick up juice and bacon and phoned Mr. Macumber to say Karissa was missing and that she was going to look for her.

She went back to the car, where Karissa was alive and well in the front seat. She put the bacon and juice in the trunk, took out a piece of beige twine and put it in her pocket.

Karissa kept wanting to get out of the car. Ms. Boudreau drove her around until it got dark and they ended up at William Hebb Road in Hebbville "and I told Karissa if she wanted to get out then, to get out."

It was snowing. She tackled Karissa, who fell to the ground on her back. Ms. Boudreau pinned Karissa down with her knees on her chest, the young girl’s hands trapped under her body. She said she wrapped the twine around Karissa’s hands and neck "and pulled in a criss-cross motion with all her strength until she could no longer feel her breathing."

She heaved her daughter’s body into the front seat of her Neon. With the girl’s body slumped down in the passenger seat, Ms. Boudreau drove to Tim Hortons on High Street in Bridgewater where she put the twine in a Tims cup and threw it in the garbage.

DUMPING THE BODY
She drove along King Street to the outskirts of town where there is a turnaround spot. She dragged Karissa’s body by the jeans. One pant leg, her pink Winnie the Pooh underwear and socks came off as she dragged her to the edge of the bank.

"Boudreau felt this would make people think Karissa had been sexually assaulted," Mr. Scovil said.

She rolled Karissa over the edge of the bank and her body landed in the trees. She knew snow was coming so the body wouldn’t be found for days.

She got back in her car, took the black hoodie, vest and a pink Croc that had come off and threw them in a garbage can by the Bridgewater swimming pool. The other pink Croc had come off at the murder site and was later found by a passerby.

MY DAUGHTER'S MISSING
She went home and called the police at about 8 p.m. to report Karissa missing.

Nearly two days later Ms. Boudreau made a tearful plea for her daughter’s safe return. She went on national television, her face pale with tears streaming down as she clenched a Kleenex in her left hand, and begged for her daughter to come home.

She said they had been arguing so she took her daughter for a drive to try to get her to talk without walking away and slamming the door. "I was just trying to reach out to her as a mom and set some things straight," she said.

After reporters rushed out of the two-hour court proceeding, a long line of people, including members of Karissa’s family and supporters, walked out of the courthouse, led by a plainclothes police officer. None spoke as they walked down the street past the cameras, down a long set of stairs to cars on the street below.

Sheriff’s deputies led Ms. Boudreau in leg shackles and handcuffs to the van outside the Bridgewater courthouse.

BYE, PENNY
As she passed, one of Vernon Macumber’s relatives, a teenage girl, yelled: "Bye, Penny."

But any semblance of support was short-lived, as just seconds later she shouted an expletive at the killer.

The van, flanked by two Bridgewater police patrol cars, drove away at 12:27 p.m., taking Ms. Boudreau to the Central Nova Scotia Correctional Facility in Dartmouth, which has been her home for months.

She will be held there, at least until she waives her right to appeal within 30 days, and then transferred to a federal prison.

With Patricia Brooks Arenburg, staff reporter

( [email protected])

Anger, shock grip town in wake of Boudreau verdict
Mom’s actions unimaginable to Bridgewater residents
By PATRICIA BROOKS ARENBURG Staff Reporter
Sat. Jan 31 - 5:07 AM

Nadine Sarty organizes some of the stuffed animals at the memorial site for Karissa Boudreau near Bridgewater on Friday. Earlier in day the girl’s mother Penny Boudreau pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in Karissa’s death. (DARREN PITTMAN / Staff)

The news trickled slowly through the small South Shore town, confirming what so many people knew in their hearts: Penny Boudreau murdered her own child.

People in Bridgewater are still angry that the 34-year-old publicly pleaded for their help to find a missing Karissa when she knew exactly what had happened to her. And they’re angry she did the unimaginable: kill her own flesh and blood.

But their anger is at a simmer instead of a boil.

"How could a mother do that to a child?" Rachel Hiltz asked quietly Friday at the site where the young girl’s body was found last February. "It just appals me to think that someone like this walked the streets."

Ms. Boudreau, formerly of Bridgewater, pleaded guilty Friday to a lesser charge of second-degree murder in a move that surprised the town. She had been scheduled to appear in court for a standard election and plea, but changed her plea. The judge accepted the joint recommendation of the Crown and defence and sentenced Ms. Boudreau to life in prison with no parole eligibility for 20 years from the date of her 2008 arrest. The entire proceeding lasted about two hours.

Ms. Hiltz said she "kind of figured" that Ms. Boudreau had murdered her daughter, but she said she wouldn’t have gone to the courthouse Friday even if she’d known the former grocery store clerk was going to be sent to prison.

"Just to see her, . . . I’m a nice person and, you know, if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say nothing at all," the 27-year-old said.

Instead, "out of respect," she went to Karissa’s memorial overlooking the LaHave River just outside Bridgewater.

"This is her final resting place, where her mother drove her. It’s a nice thing to show her that people are actually caring about her, that (Karissa’s) not forgotten."

Nadine Sarty, one of those who got to know Karissa’s family after she was killed, said Ms. Boudreau has left her with "an open wound."

"It’s because I got to hear exactly what happened. As much as I didn’t want to hear what happened, we were all looking for the reason why, where, who — the whole thing. It was horrific. The entire courtroom broke down," she said.

According to the agreed statement of facts read aloud in court Friday, Ms. Boudreau strangled her daughter because her then-boyfriend, Vernon Macumber, wasn’t happy with the living situation. The girl was either going to live with someone else or he was gone, the court heard.

Ms. Sarty wanted to see some evidence of genuine remorse from the accused, but was left disappointed when all Ms. Boudreau offered Friday was a barely audible "I’m sorry."

"Was she sorry she got caught? Is she sorry she killed her daughter? Is she sorry they found too much evidence? I’m not really sure just exactly why she’s sorry."

Susie Whynacht decided to come to the courthouse Friday after reading The Chronicle Herald’s account this week of Ms. Boudreau’s comfortable life in jail awaiting trial.

"Why should she be allowed to stay warm?" Ms. Whynacht asked, struggling to fight back tears. "Why should she be allowed cooked meals? Why should she be allowed to play bingo? Why should she be allowed to have her hair done?"

The newspaper story, which noted that Ms. Boudreau and other female inmates at the Central Nova Scotia Correctional Facility in Dartmouth get their nails and hair done, also touched a nerve with Ms. Sarty.

"I saw her nails, I saw how well they were done and it sickens me. It makes my stomach churn to think that she was treated like that, that she has those opportunities."

Ms. Whynacht, a retail clerk, still remembers helping Ms. Boudreau pick out jeans with Mr. Macumber only two days after Karissa was reported missing.

"As a concerned mother, as a mother that loved your children, I would be by the phone 24-7 waiting for some sort of news as to what was going on," the Lunenburg woman said. "I wouldn’t be out shopping."

A grandmother and mother of two grown children, Ms. Whynacht said "it’s not enough" that Ms. Boudreau could get out of jail in 15 or 20 years after what she did to her daughter.

"I think if you ask each and every person . . . they would all say ‘an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth,’ " Ms. Whynacht said.

Bridgewater Deputy Police Chief John Collyer called Karissa’s case "one of the most horrendous" he’s ever seen in almost two decades on the force.

"I still don’t understand why. I mean, I’ve heard the reasons but when it comes right down to it, I don’t understand it."

( [email protected])

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
how can any mother do that to her own child? :'( :'( :'(

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't fathom it, Kel. It hurts me heart just to try to imagine what the poor child went through at the hands of the person who was supposed to love her more than her own life. She didn't even love her as much as her loser boyfriend.

My children are my life. The air in my lungs. I can't comprehend how on earth a person could hurt their own child. Any child.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
CindersMyGirl said:
This is when I don't understand why she's going to prison. She deserves to die. Period.
Too many do gooders say she don't deserve it. Tall tree and a short rope would seem proper.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CindersMyGirl said:
This is when I don't understand why she's going to prison. She deserves to die. Period.
No death penalty here. Even for the epitome of scum. She won't last in jail. I guarantee that. She'll be dealt with. I hope she suffers like her daughter did that night.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
eastcoastmom said:
CindersMyGirl said:
No death penalty here. Even for the epitome of scum. She won't last in jail. I guarantee that. She'll be dealt with. I hope she suffers like her daughter did that night.
Yeah I know you don't have it up there. I'm sure some do gooder will pop in and say how wrong it is in all cases, but not everyone believes that. From what I know from folks who work in corrections she's gonna have to either be kept seperate or her life will be more miserble than death.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordinarily I would agree with that Glen, but I honestly doubt there is anyone that would lobby for this monster.

She would have to be segregated, because there are mommas in the inside that would love to get their hands on her. And they will. If they want to get someone bad enough, they will. I imagine there are more than a few corrections officers willing to turn their head ...just for a minute. I just hope she suffers before she dies.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
:'( So very sad. I cannot even begin to imagine what could possibly posses someone to do such an awful thing.

("Do gooder" biting her tongue)

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
eastcoastmom said:
And she did it because she didn’t want to lose her boyfriend. She told the undercover operative she "would do anything for Vernon and the thought of losing him was harder than the thought of losing her daughter."
:surprise:

Wow. Just wow.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
i read about that.. awful.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CindersMyGirl said:
The inmates where Justin works wear orange suits if it's thought they'll be targeted by other inmates. It makes it easier for the co's to keep an eye on them.
Or ignore them if they should happen to get jumped? (hopefully...in this particular case)

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Shakes head and hopes that come judgement day she learns what Hell truly is.

How can anyone do that to a child little on their own mother.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
eastcoastmom said:
Ordinarily I would agree with that Glen, but I honestly doubt there is anyone that would lobby for this monster.
Oh there are plenty of them out there who would, that I don't doubt one bit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts