Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember here, Hoppy does not retrieve. I'm working on it and he will a little when it's just me and him, but he does not retrieve like a real Lab. But Sally and Spud are retrieving-a-holics. They love it.

Well, every time I get out the chuck-it or any toys and take them out in the yard, Sally and Spud get all excited, start jumping around, barking....you know what I'm talking about.

Now, while Hoppy couldn't care less about the retrieving part, he does absolutely LOVE to run with them....especially Sally. Sally is his hero. He stays right with her and thinks all that retrieving is just running and playing. No problem.

The problem is while I'm getting the toys out and getting them outside. While Sally and Spud are jumping around all excited, Hoppy is jumping all over Sally...getting excited also...nipping at her....ready to do his running/playing.

Well, Sally doesn't appreciate that at all. She's ready to retrieve, that's her job. During this "get ready" time, Hoppy aggravates the stuffing out of her. Every time, she'll turn and give him a correction: "Back off, buddy." And he does. No problem.

Well, yesterday, I was getting out the jolly ball and some wubbas to throw in the yard. Same scenario. But this time Hoppy didn't back off. She corrected again and again. Three corrections she gave him. He continued to jump all over her, interferring with her getting ready to retrieve.

The fourth time was not just a correction. She got him. Got him good. She didn't bite him or anything vicious like that, but she made him yelp. He then backed off.

Do y'all think that was okay? Should I have stepped in and stopped him?

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Sally seems to do a good job of communicating to him to back off. I have a similar problem with Bruno (1) wanting to play rough with Mitzi (9). Bruno is too strong and too rough for her. If she tries to get him to back off, he thinks she's playing and comes on stronger, so I always step in with a stern "Leave Mitzi alone!" Once he plowed into her and knocked her over sideways. My heart stopped until she got up and was OK.

Sally, on the other hand is young and strong enough to take care of Hoppy.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Sally is telling him what is appropriate. Her corrections are fine.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
No Nance, don't interfere. Sally is putting him in his place and it seems to be working quite nicely! :) Good job on her part!!

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Abbey does the same thing to my friend's puppy. She had to get pretty vicious, kind of like Sally maybe got, for the dog to get the point. Obviously if it continues and gets worse, then there might be a problem, but sometimes dogs are stubborn and just "don't get it."

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Hoppy's problem is that he was raised with his littermate sister and never had any other socialization with any other dogs. But he's a smart boy and he's definitely learning. He has come so far since we first got him.

Sally has no problem keeping him in line. Heck, she has no problem keeping US in line! :D :p Even a couple of times, Spud has given him a little growl when he gets too much and made him back off.

He's such a sweet boy, though....so innocent! ;)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
You are lucky to have a girl that is willing to correct, mine just take the abuse.

Escalating corrections are very good! Good job Sally, she will escalate until he gets the idea, which is a GREAT thing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts