Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing about tires for the Honda Odyssey (is it the Odyssey? The minivan??). How they're some kind of special punctureproof whatever.

But that they only last about 25k miles....

And how they're some ridiculous charge to replace them. Like 2x the cost of a normal tire.

Honda buyers are HOWLING!!!

Q - Is this the case ONLY on Hondas? We bought a Toyota Sienna in Fall 2008, and I don't remember a single thing being said about special tires.....

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I've never heard that....my mom has a 2004 Odyssey and her tires are just regular ones. Mine are Michelins. I think most of the cars have Bridgestone or Michelin, in fact.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I hear that the best solution for those vehicles equipped with the PAX tires is to swap the rims and get new regular tires of your choosing.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I know Bridgestone makes some that do that but I have no idea what the life is on them. 25K? I would be replacing tires every year!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
where are they made? :)
Q: Where are the Michelin® PAX System® assemblies manufactured?

A: PAX System is a tire-and-wheel system, and different components are manufactured by different companies. PAX System wheels are produced by Hitachi, Topy, and others. PAX System tires are manufactured by Michelin, while the support ring is supplied to Michelin by Dow Automotive. Michelin assembles the components for each system at its facilities.
http://www.michelinman.com/pax/frequently-asked-questions/

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, how can someone tell if they've got PAX tires? I guess first is to see if they're Michelins??

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Run flat tires. Very costly and don't last long.

I'm looking to eventurally buy a new Rav-4 and one of their models (without the spare on the back) has run flats.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
dan.. the pax system is a safety feature.. if you blow a tire out.. you can run the tire for a set amount of time before you have to replace it.. with normal tires, a blown tire means you need to put a donut on.. the pax tire is like a two in one system.. no need for a donut, because the donut is built-in like..

Otherwise, i believe the lifespan is the same as a normal tire..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts