Just Labradors banner

Honcho got attacked by another dog

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  amazongold 
Having your dog sit next to you is not going to dissuade another dog from starting a fight with him. And - him running away is probably just making things worse. His attacker's prey drive is more excited by a fleeing animal.

Some dogs pick on dogs with floppy ears as they are not as able to interpret their body language. Watch a dog with pointy ears and see how much they use them - they communicate to other dogs in that manner (of course your dog does the same - but floppy ears are harder to read). How well was your dog socialized with other dogs? It could be that he sends out some sort of vibe that is provoking other dogs - or that you have just had really bad luck and run into very territorial dogs.

I would avoid the area where this has happened. I would have my dog leashed to me to prevent him running off. And - if you have no choice but to exercise him in an area where other dogs might potentially attack him, I would get some sort of deterrent you can spray at the attacking dog before things get out of hand.

Have you confronted the owner of this dog that has jumped yours twice? He should not be free to go after passersby.

Trickster said:
Honcho is on an e-collar when I take him out.
An e-collar is no subsitute for a leash.

If your dog had been on a leash and not an e-collar you would have been in better physical control of the situation. Had he been leashed, he would not have been able to run and therefore get pinned down by the other dog. This also potentially puts him in danger of getting hit by a car.

So, I suggest you ditch the e-collar and use a leash. If it happens again, get between you and your dog and really yell at the other dog, then report them to animal control.
+1 - this is not an appropriate usage of an e-collar anyway.

Have you considered that the use of an e-collar (punishment coming in a disembodied form) might contribute to your dog's softness and submission? Just some food for thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.