Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread awhile back with a bunch of tips on making homemade bread. Can anyone find it for me? :D

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not me, my friend at work. She got some books for Christmas and is all excited to make her first loaf. I was hoping to pass on some of the good tips I saw in that thread (I am NOT a breadmaker!!).

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She mentioned something about having things room temperature and it jogged my memory. There was something about that in the thread...

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
It's pretty much foolproof when you make it in the bread machine. You get better results if you just use the dough cycle and bake it in the oven, though.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
You have to have room temp or above to make the yeast work well. I do though use a commercial grade yeast I buy in 1 pound bags that will let me make bread when I go on my trips and the temps are less than ideal.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
:scared::scared:
On the (now rare) occasions I make bread, I don't use a machine. But having the yeast at room temp helps, as does using warm - but not too warm - water to proof said yeast.
I've had some rather hot days in camp where the bread making got interesting to say the least, first time I used that commercial grade yeast we almost lost a small town. See I don't measure anything and a "woops, too much" on a 95 degree day is exciting. Didn't take long to rise at all.:scared:

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
WEird. I replied to this then it vanished. If it tuns up send it home

I make a lot of bread. If I use fresh yeast it is best at room temp, and body temp water. Sometimes I use it from the fridge and it is o.k. Dried yeast doesn't matter. Leave the dough to rise at room temp or slightly more is best. Even in the sun. If I am in a hurry I put it in the upper oven turned off and the lower oven on low. Not enough to cook it. If the yeast and room is too cold it takes longer to rise and sometimes a more solid bread.
I have a really easy bread recipe I will post if you want.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
With a bread machine, your dry and wet ingredients are separated, and you don't have to proof the yeast. I've never made anything room temperature and my bread always turns out fine. In fact my bread machine warms everything to room temp before it starts mixing, it is so shmaht.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Amy does she want the hints for bread maker or by hand. Bread maker you put it all in and don't let the yeast touch the liquid. The bread maker book will tell her that. My brothers bread maker and mine are different and his recipet is no good for mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.