Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you guys....

I contacted someone about renting a home and explained that we have 3 dogs, and the breeds. The lady responded that their insurance won't allow dogs. Now, I've heard of not allowing certain breeds, but dogs in general? Not that it matters, but it bugs me. If you don't want dogs in your rental home, just say so. Ya know?

Anyone heard of that?

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
That's not really fair. :( Ours has certain exclusions - pitbulls, rotts, German shepherds, dobermans, and a couple of others. We had a German shepherd when we bought this house, and the insurance guy saw her when he came. He didn't say anything about it, but he had one at home too. I guess we got lucky with that.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gailatmsu said:
That's not really fair. :(
Yeah, I didn't think so either....but if someone is going to be like that I don't think I'd want to rent from them any way. Grrr!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Yeah, I've heard that. It really depends on the company.

If they have a national company, it's not likely (State Farm, Allstate, etc), because those have across the board policies- at least state wide.

My insurance in Missouri- State Farm- charges a hell of a lot more if you have a yorkie, a boxer, a pitty, a rott, etc. They have some way of averaging out the total number of dogs with the number of bites- and pits, yorkies, etc have a higher bite percentage.

However, lots of people (especially if they only want liability, etc) will use a more local company and those rules are pretty much as the owner/board of the company wants it.

Furthermore, you get into some vicarious liability issues with landlord/tenant law. There is a chance, that if you have a dog that bites someone, your landlord could be held liable for the bite. Obviously, a number of factors have to be met first (and I have to go to class :) ), but the landlord's insurance may have decided that they were no longer taking that risk.

Anyway, long answer to say that there is a strong possibility that they are not BSing you.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
bacatherine said:
I've never heard of not allowing any dogs??? I have heard of the breed restrictions though which still isn't fair.
Why isn't it fair? They have an obligation to minimize risk in order to keep everyone's costs of insurance down. These breeds have been statistically shown to have a higher propensity to bite. Bites equal higher liability, more money paid out and higher costs for everyone- including the non-dog owning public.

And, considering there a ton of insurance companies that you can get insurance through...a breed restriction that one company places is another company's gain.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Laura. Your explanation makes it more clear. I may get slammed, but I agree with breed restrictions.

D

·
0 Posts
gabbys mom said:
bacatherine said:
I've never heard of not allowing any dogs??? I have heard of the breed restrictions though which still isn't fair.
Why isn't it fair? They have an obligation to minimize risk in order to keep everyone's costs of insurance down. These breeds have been statistically shown to have a higher propensity to bite. Bites equal higher liability, more money paid out and higher costs for everyone- including the non-dog owning public.

And, considering there a ton of insurance companies that you can get insurance through...a breed restriction that one company places is another company's gain.
Where I live it is very unusual to find any rental property that allows dogs at all. Regardless of size or breed. It's not just the bite factor, but the potential for damage to the property that property owners are concerned about. Frankly if I were renting property I would think twice about allowing dogs. Not because of the dogs, but because of negligent and irresponsible owners. Just much easier to set up clear parameters to minimize potential losses.

I did have a dog when I was in an apartment - but it was a tough fight and I won because the landlord was not willing to do anything to make the building secure and my husband worked 3rd shift. The dog scared away more than one vagrant from my stairwell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts