Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend our water heater began acting up. One shower there would be very little hot water and an hour later there would be plenty and it would be excessively hot. The water heater still being under warranty we called and they sent a repair man Monday morning. He couldn't find much wrong with the water heater. He cleaned off a "few contacts", checked the elements and charged us $70 and went on his way. Yesterday, hot water heater begins acting up again. Thankfully for some reason my SU, Joe, felt the need to go look at it. He found it smoking and when he took the cover off the front of it there was a little flame. He quickly tripped the circuit, cutting off the electricity to the water heater and eventually the smoke and flame was gone. All the while I am standing by with the phone ready to call the fire department.
It was rough sleeping last night. I kept thinking I smelled smoke or something....how could I not the house was full of that smokey, electrical smell.
Thank goodness Joe decided to "check on it" when he did or it could have caught the house on fire.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OMG that's scary!!!! So now what? Sounds like the repairman needs to give you your $70 back and replace the water heater altogether.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
God - I'd be after the repairman's ass if I were you! - and if under warrenty - why a charge in the 1st place? Scary indeed!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
and if under warrenty - why a charge in the 1st place?
That was my first thought, too.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
parts are under warrenty. I am paying for the repairman's time.
They want to just replace the thermostat today.....geez

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Wait, I'm sorry, but IT WAS ON FIRE and they want to replace the thermostat?! Is the company that told you that? You need to have a plumber come in and give a professional opinion.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it was Sears' repairman. Evidently it was the thermostat on fire last night. It got stuck in the on position and fried itself. He replaced both thermostats and said if this doesn't work they will replace the whole thing. YEAH RIGHT. Now I'm scared to death. I'll be running up and down the steps all day. I have my fire extinguisher ready and I know how to cut the power to it but still.......YIKES. I won't sleep for a week.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'd be scared, too. :(

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Scary, Lisa! I understand how you must feel. We've never had any problems with ours and I'm still constantly terrified it's going to blow up. If it had actually been on fire, I don't know what I'd do!

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just can not get the electrical, burning smell out of my nose. I keep imagining I smell it especially every time the heat kicks on. It is freaky.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Glad it was found before something tragic happened.

I feel you need to call Sears and have a serious conversation with them.

(1) The intial serviceman was incompetent and didn't do his job as he should have been trained.
(2) You want that initial charge refunded. Why should you pay Sears to send an incompetent repair person, and put you , your family, and your home at risk?
(3) Being that they didn't take care of it properly the first time, why should you be liable for any charges the second time when it was their product that was defective and presented a life threatening safety hazard to you and your family.
(4) When are they going to send another properly trained and thorough service person out to check the unit and the work done?

If you can't get immediate satisfaction on the phone, tell them that you are calling your electric service provider to come inspect the unit and their work, as well as documenting the event and sending it to your fire dept, building inspectors, the BBB, and forwarding it to your state attorney general or whatever consumer protection agency you have there. AND DO IT!

Maybe a letter to your local paper would be good also.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Note to self: do not ever make Ed mad.

Sorry that this happened. I think I would be nervous that it would happen again also.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
i wish you had told me yesterday that it was sears. i have heard nothing but BAD about their repair dept.
call a local family owned plumbing company. they are usually the most honest and best priced.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts