Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I owned a business, I wouldn't be hiring either.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5303F820090401

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Job losses in the U.S. private sector accelerated in March, more than economists' expectations, according to a report by ADP Employer Services on Wednesday.

Private employers cut jobs by a record 742,000 in March versus a 706,000 revised cut in February that was originally reported at 697,000 jobs, said ADP, which has been carrying out the survey since 2001.

:eek:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
It is getting scary.

Just received a memo from management that they are cutting a bunch of nurses.

When a Hospital has to lay off nurses you know the economy is hitting the shitter.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Our company has proudly [sic] done its part.....

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Neither Bill nor I have even gotten a call or response to applications and resumes. I know the companies that are hiring are simply inundated with applications.

Michigan's unemployment hit 12% in February; wonder if it will be higher for March?

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Neither Bill nor I have even gotten a call or response to applications and resumes. I know the companies that are hiring are simply inundated with applications.

Michigan's unemployment hit 12% in February; wonder if it will be higher for March?
I think Oregon's is 3rd highest. I haven't heard of any nursing jobs getting cut, but sure know they arent hiring right now! We were short staffed before, cant imagine them cutting:eek:

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Time to start looking for a govt. sector job; it's the only one increasing right now.

And just because everybody else used it...:eek:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time to start looking for a govt. sector job; it's the only one increasing right now.
I know, I've come to that realization. I just spent about 4 hours Sunday on USA Jobs applying for positions all over the country. That is literally the only place I've seen that is actively putting out the "We're Hiring" sign. Otherwise, it's a matter of stumbling upon a firm that didn't plan to hire, but you hit it off with them and they make room for you.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
****. That is definitely not a good sign. We're not laying anyone off right now, but hours are getting cut for some people. My position should be safe, but I'm looking at finishing my degree in the next year or two, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be able to get a job in my field. :( Definitely not a good time to graduate. I guess there's always graduate school...

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I think I heard that California has over 2 million unemployed. That's more than all of the unemployed in Canada!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I was just saying the other day that I am glad that I am not a kid graduation from college next month. What the heck to you do? Move back with your parents?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I was just saying the other day that I am glad that I am not a kid graduation from college next month.
Tell me about it. Michael and Jared graduated in January and they can't find anything in their fields. They're both working at Shop-Rite.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I think I heard that California has over 2 million unemployed. That's more than all of the unemployed in Canada!
California has more people than all of Canada, so it's not too surprising a stat.

However, our legislature just enacted huge new tax increases that start today, so I'm sure that our economy will soon be thriving and businesses will be hiring like crazy.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
My parents were really surprised by the commerce.. i guess they went down there thinking shopping would bring enormous deals and there just isn't anything out there .. they've had much better luck during good times than now.

Is that weird?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Tell me about it. Michael and Jared graduated in January and they can't find anything in their fields. They're both working at Shop-Rite.
That's what I'm afraid of. I'm only 3 classes short of my bachelor's in biology, but I'm staying in an extra semester to finish classes for pre-reqs to all kinds of biology graduate programs, nursing schools, PA schools, etc. I'm afraid to try and find a job in my field with the economy as-is, and I really didn't choose this degree to just keep working middle management in retail. Sigh.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
The real numbers are much higher, too. When you count all the people who have given up looking for work, and people who are only working a few hours a week, the number goes up another 6-7%. In California, the real unemployment rate is probably 15-16%; in Michigan I'm sure it's higher. :(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Right. Self-employed people - like carpenters - can't collect so they're not included. There must be tons of those. :(

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
It is bad and no doubt will get worse over the next 12 - 18 months

For those for whom it's a reasonable next step, now probably is a good time to pack on more educational credentials --- IF that's something reasonably affordable and which'll enhance hiring attractiveness later.

Or possibly look into something like the Peace Corps for a 2 year diversion gaining overseas experience with a different culture and language.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts