Just Labradors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roger Ebert:

Gotta hand it to him, though. He's still in there kicking........

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think his new voice thing is amazing. Kudos for him for not giving up.
I was just reading his blog on how that was done. The original thought was to take his voice from the movie review -- heck, he's been on-camera since 1975 -- and splice together the words. But they were finding it didn't really work: He was interrupted a lot (thank you, Gene Siskel!), or there was background music/dialog/clips playing. He also complained that the audio taken from the TV shows had him sounding 'agitated.' (Again, thank you Gene Siskel!)

What worked was his DVD commentaries for movies like Casablanca, where he was alone, in a sound booth, and working from notes while viewing films. THAT source provided a good, clear, base vocabulary from which his present speech could be mimicked.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Such an amazing story. Reminds me a lot of my FIL (who passed 12 years ago). He had jaw cancer and by the time they finished hacking him up, he looked almost identical to that picture. Couldn't speak for the last few years of his life. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.