Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pack of smokes yesterday after work.
$8.55!!!

*thud*

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So quit already. They were $8 a pack when I quit 6 years ago.
So you know all too well then, easier said than done.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I gave up a $15 per month addiction mostly for economic reasons but also health reasons.

I found it's really not that hard after the second week.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts

I know it's hard. It took me a few tries to get that monkey off my back. I was at the point where I wanted to quit, so I think that really helped. I was tired of feeling like crap and coughing all the time.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who me, Lis? Less than a pack a day......
It's 11:00 a.m. and I haven't had one yet. I usually don't until after lunch...and then it's all downhill from there. :(

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Think of it this way. If someone gave you a match & told you to set fire to that $8.55, WOULD YOU? :confused: I bet not so why is spending it on a pack of smokes & then setting fire to them any different? Just saying ......... :rolleyes:

Oh & here, I think they're around $10-12/pack. I don't know the exact price 'cause I don't touch 'em.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Think of it this way. If someone gave you a match & told you to set fire to that $8.55, WOULD YOU? :confused: I bet not so why is spending it on a pack of smokes & then setting fire to them any different? Just saying ......... :rolleyes:
If you never smoked, you don't know how addictive nicotine is.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Wow, expensive vice, I could see that would be incentive to quit! Though I've watched friends battle with trying to stop, some with more success than others, but it was never easy for any of them.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point, Garth.

I was tired of feeling like crap and coughing all the time.
How long until you felt better and stopped coughing? I've heard your sense of smell and taste drastically improves, too.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
How long until you felt better and stopped coughing? I've heard your sense of smell and taste drastically improves, too.
I started feeling better very soon after quitting. The coughing continued for some time afterwards (maybe 6-8 months), especially after exercise. Smell and taste does improve. It didn't take my nose long to recognise how disgusting smokers smell and that alone made me feel horrible - knowing that I walked around smelling like that.
:(

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I know it's hard. It took me a few tries to get that monkey off my back. I was at the point where I wanted to quit, so I think that really helped. I was tired of feeling like crap and coughing all the time.
That's exactly why I quit 8 years ago. And, I thought the price was bad then! Holy crap! Add up all that $ and that's like a house payment.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
If you never smoked, you don't know how addictive nicotine is.
No I've never smoked Cam but I know how addictive it is. Plenty of my friends smoke including one I've known for over 20 years. I've spent most of that time bitching & nagging at her to give up. She's tried a few times without success. She even tried acupuncture a few years ago & that didn't work either. It really saddens me to think what health problems await her & the others in a few years time. :(

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
It didn't take my nose long to recognise how disgusting smokers smell and that alone made me feel horrible - knowing that I walked around smelling like that.
same here. now when people come inside from going out for a smoke break; the smell makes me want to puke. i used to smell that way. disgusting!

i didn't feel a ton better after quitting; but i have other health things going on, so that could be the reason. never coughed or anything like that, but there is no way i could afford to smoke now even if i wanted to. i quit the first time for 5 years; this time it has been almost 8 years. cold turkey; saw a show on tv about 50 and 60 year olds with lung cancer and knew i was not far off...scared the poo out of me. i can still remember the day on my deck that i had my last smoke.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, he'd be looking at probably $25/day. That's almost $800/month!

Holy crap when I think of it that way, I'm spending close to $300 a month. :eek:

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Yea, he'd be looking at probably $25/day. That's almost $800/month!

Holy crap when I think of it that way, I'm spending close to $300 a month. :eek:

when i first quit, i took that money and opened a savings account with what i would have been spending on cigs. then the ex lost his job and i quit doing it; but think of what you could save or have for bills if you did that.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts