Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we booked our Disney trip back in August, the five of us have all been throwing spare change into a large box, with the notion that before we left, we'd take it to the bank and cash it in.

Today we went, dual purpose: 1) Buy traveller's checks (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and 2) Cash in our treasure.

We're adding almost $300 that used to be nickels, quarters, dimes, and pennies to our vacation till.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Nice! We bank our spare change too, and I'm always shocked to see how much it adds up to! I've never gotten almost $300 though!

I've heard from financial people that this is actually a very good way to save money.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Isn't that a good feeling! We did the same, when we we bought Otis....it a was a shoe box that was labeled "Puppy Fund".

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Awesome! We did that before we went to Vegas and had $200 something. It was a nice feeling!
Have a great trip!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
We've been doing this too Dweck. Every Friday we empty out our wallets and purses, and start fresh with a new allowance. I would guess we've got maybe $100 bucks since January so far... It's an excellent way to save without really feeling like you are saving.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I always keep a change jar both at work and at home. Every few months I cash it in and it is always $300 or $400.00 as I never spend my change.

I cash it in for Vegas in July and whatever I do in January.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Funny you mention that. Trevin and I just started doing that for our Disney trip in December. We did that last time we went and had almost $200.

Isn't it fun? It's like free money!!!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Bill and I save our change, too, but since we both use debit cards way more than cash, it doesn't add up as fast as I'd like it to. If there were a closer Bank of America, I'd open an account there and use that debit card where it rounds up and puts the difference in savings. That would be terrific!

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Isn't it amazing how much it adds up? We have one of those huge glass water bottles that we our change in (neither of us like carrying it so it all gets put in there). About once a month, me and hubby will get $20 in quarters from the bank to throw in there too. Once a year, we roll it up and cash it in, and we use that for fun stuff we normally wouldn't buy off one income. This year, it's going towards a pool. Last year, we used to towards going to a few Saints games. It covered the tickets, food, and hotel, so it was like we got free family trips. :)

Enjoy your vacation and your 'free' money!

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
It's a great way to save if you don't have kittens and you throw all of your ( copper in our case ) coins into a bucket.

The Kittens unbeknown to me used the bucket as a toilet !

I have emptied the coins out and thoroughly washed them but they have sort of corroded. I've tried various chemicals to remove the verdigris but without doing each coin individually I can't see a way to clean them !

I obviously have too little time and too much money !

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
That's great, Dan!

Which reminds me...I need to count our loose change. Oh, and I've been throwing dollar bills in there too.

·
Registered
583 Posts
That's great! Wish we had done that. Instead I went to Walmart this morning and blew just about that same amount on crap to pack for the trip. ::)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts