Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this was Holly's rash and hot spots 5 days ago (the day after she went to the vet I believe).

This is her belly today. And most of the splotchiness you see are tufts of red hair that they didn't shave off. There are only just a couple of very tiny sores left.
I went ahead and removed her ecollar today. I'll watch and see how she does without it. I think she looks fantastic!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh my gosh, Charla! I didn't realize her rash had been that bad! It's worlds better now! What did it turn out to be? Staph infection? Heat? (Guess I missed the diagnosis part)

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're not entirely certain what caused it. We had just seeded some bare spots in the back yard a few days before this happened to her so it might have been an allergic reaction to it.
Hard to say. She's had skin issues her whole life...this was the most severe one so far though.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wow, what a difference. What did they give her? Buddy (our golden) got shaved the other day to Lab length and I was amazed to not find his skin looking like Holly's first picture. He does get hot spots now and then so I'm curious what the vet gave her for the rash and spots.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Amazing! Looks so much better. Bet she is a happy camper now.

What type of meds were she on?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Holy crap Charla! I must've missed that one while on vacation. :eek: She looks 100% better!!! :D

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They put her on antibiotics. She's supposed to be on them for a full month but maybe when her doc sees how much better she looks (she has to go back in a week) she'll let her stop taking them. She also put her on 30 mg of steroids per day initially, with a slow decrease in dosage of course. And then she put her on Omega 3 fatty acid supplements (which she wants her to stay on for life) and a topical antibiotic spray.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm amazed. She has never healed this quickly from hot spots. But then, they've never treated them this aggessively either. I'm really pleased with how thorough this new doc was.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Aggressive is right- good job. We give ours a tin of sardines, salmon or mackerel every M W and F evening and I really believe that has helped all of them with this but for Nellie who would lick herself no matter what.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Whoa Charla!! What a difference! That's amazing. Poor baby :( that first picture is just awful!
I feel so badly for them when something is wrong.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Charla said:
I'm amazed. She has never healed this quickly from hot spots. But then, they've never treated them this aggessively either. I'm really pleased with how thorough this new doc was.

Try the wild salmon oil...you can spray right onto their food and they LOVEEEEEE it. I get mine on Ebay.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Wow, Charla. I must have missed this about her. Where was I?

It sure looks much better!!!! Nice work, Mom!!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Charla said:
We're not entirely certain what caused it. We had just seeded some bare spots in the back yard a few days before this happened to her so it might have been an allergic reaction to it.
Hard to say. She's had skin issues her whole life...this was the most severe one so far though.
Egads, sounds like every Golden that I have ever owned or known. It does look a TON better! You did a great job!

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tootsiesmom said:
Charla said:
Egads, sounds like every Golden that I have ever owned or known. It does look a TON better! You did a great job!
Isn't that the truth! This is one expensive dog. I think that's why they're such sweethearts. If they weren't, no one would put up with all their medical issues....lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts