Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bringing home a new puppy tomorrow. What the heck can I feed her that is:

-NOT affiliated with Menu Foods (at all...even Wellness, which I feed my cat, has ties with them)
-NOT affected by the recall
-Holistic and Natural

Does such a food exist (without going raw)??

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Honestly, you are taking your chances any time you buy a commercial pet food. I would look for a smaller local company that uses local resources.
If you want the Whole Dog Journal list of the best dog foods, PM me and I will send it to you...it has a lot of good information about each food on it that might help you make a decision.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
FallRiver said:
If you want the Whole Dog Journal list of the best dog foods, PM me and I will send it to you...it has a lot of good information about each food on it that might help you make a decision.
Great resource! Did you see that one of their recommendations was recalled! They addressed that in the latest issue. Personnally, I feel safer feeding raw.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yep, me too.
Now I'm thinking I need to start making everything at home from scratch too with the contamination in our food products...sheesh :p
It all boils down to fruits and veggies doesn't it...sigh, I worked so hard to avoid veggies :angel: ;D

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
FallRiver said:
...sigh, I worked so hard to avoid veggies :angel: ;D
So did I! Only because Caleb's holistic vet told me to do about a tablespoon of vegies with about 1/8 cup of tripe each night. I really don't like doing the vegies though. :p

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yellow Boys Mom said:
FallRiver said:
...sigh, I worked so hard to avoid veggies :angel: ;D
So did I! Only because Caleb's holistic vet told me to do about a tablespoon of vegies with about 1/8 cup of tripe each night. I really don't like doing the vegies though. :p
I just made veggies cupcakes tonight ;D I used to just pour them into Ziploc bag, freeze and cut, but it is too hard to cut. So, I froze them in cupcakes :-*

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I use mainly green beans, but I do like to use baby food veggies, they are already pured and ready to serve. Ruger loves them, Magnum hates them ;)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm getting lazy with the veggies and I now buy frozen ones and steam them once a week. I've gone through too many food processors and HATE doing veggies. Now I buy big bags of frozen broccoli and cauliflower and stuff from Costco an steam it once a week.
No more spending the entire afternoon pushing veggies through the moulinex!!!!!!!! :p

·
Registered
412 Posts
FallRiver said:
I'm getting lazy with the veggies and I now buy frozen ones and steam them once a week. I've gone through too many food processors and HATE doing veggies. Now I buy big bags of frozen broccoli and cauliflower and stuff from Costco an steam it once a week.
No more spending the entire afternoon pushing veggies through the moulinex!!!!!!!! :p
Do you only feed veggies once a week?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
No, I make enough for a few days...so they get veggies for three or four days out of 7.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I like the Honest Kitchen's dehydrated diets. I'm a raw feeder but I tested this product for some of our rescue dogs and it seems to be working well for them and they love it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts