Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Koda is still crated for the most part.. since her leg won't be full-on good-to-go for another week (today is week 7) I still have to be careful with her.. plus her other knee is still waiting for surgery..

When i come home from work..she FREAKS OUT in that crate.. oh the bellowing.. it's eardrum-piercing.

I made the grave mistake of feeding her when as soon as i got home, and now it's all she equates my arrival to.. FOOD.

So now, i come home and DON'T feed her until she's calmed down and quiet.. but i don't know how to get her to shut up except to let herself quiet down on her own.. which can be an agonizing 30 minutes.

She's great in there all day and night except for when food is on the way.. and i'm just not sure how to correct her when she's IN the crate.. it's not like i can reach in there.. there's no leash for help..

I'm at a bit of a loss here..

On a good note.. we've been doing the umbilical training on a leash during our walks... she's doing so good.. i may actually have a dog that can walk properly while wearing a flat collar.

Tuck does fine now..but he's 7.. i think he just started feeling sorry for me.. the umbilical method is so easy for that kind of training though.. i wish i had done that with tucker.

Anyway.. any tips?

Note: she does this in the morning too when i get up.. because the food is coming and she want sit NOW!

AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Where's my food?

The only suggestion I have is what I did with HK. We had to put up with it until she stopped. No food or recognition while the tantrum is being thrown. We did feed very shortly after it stopped. Enough time in between such that she didn't think it was the barking, whining, howling that produced it, and not too long such that she knew she was being fed or treated because she was quiet. For us, about 30 seconds seemed to make sense.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I think you're doing about all you can. I know some people purposely make loud noises to get the dog to shut up, but that's not really a good things because then they can become fearful of loud noises.

I think you might be stuck with listening to her for a while :(

BTW - what's this umbilical leash training..?!

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
How good is your timing? Get a clicker and her bowl of kibble.... eventually she's going to have to pause to breathe - at that instant, click and toss a kibble into the crate. Repeat, repeat repeat.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
k, it sounds like you're doing what I'd do. I guess that's a roundabout way of saying that I have no clue, either. :eek::

By "umbilical," do you just mean leashing her to you when you're in the house? Or are you belly-banding her?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'd keep doing what you do, wait until she quiets down (maybe you and Tuck romp around the yard or whatnot) then once she's quiet praise like heck, give her a jackpot treat and her dinner.

I'm also wondering about umbilical leash training and am to lazy to "do a google" - what is it?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Kel, you said she does this when you come home and when you wake up. Both are periods when you've been "away" for awhile. Maybe she's just excited to see you. What you describe is exactly how Macy was, when she was crated. I come home from work and she FREAKED out every time.
YIP! YIP! YIP! YIP! YIP! YIP! The most annoying bark in the world. The only way I was able to stop it was to let her out, but I guess you can't do that. :(

OK, so I'm no help whatsoever. Sorry.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Kel, you said she does this when you come home and when you wake up. Both are periods when you've been "away" for awhile. Maybe she's just excited to see you. What you describe is exactly how Macy was, when she was crated. OK, so I'm no help whatsoever. Sorry.
Bauer did the same thing. He would be sound asleep in the crate until we came home (or got up in the morning). As soon as I walked into the room, he would get so excited. He would try to jump up and down, and wag his tail so hard against the wire sides that I was afraid he was going to hurt himself. As soon as I opened the door he was fine.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a google..

http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/training/umbilical-cord-training.htm

Basically you just slip the leash around your waist, pull the clasp through the handle, then clip to your dog's collar like normal.
Yes.. that's right.. when she's just about to tighten the leash, change direction.. you end up doing circles in the front of your driveway for half an hour.. but eventually you get a dog who's forced to walk beside you and watch you so you don't suddenly change directions on her.. you can verbally praise when she looks at you.. but i tend to just focus ahead and keep moving.. a loose leash can be praise enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts