Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably silly, but I thought I would go onto this board anyway. I recently saw a picture online in a different community of a dog sitting on a hard floor with their legs splayed out to the sides. Many people suggested that that wasn't normal, and that it was quite possibly a sign of hip dysplasia. The problem is, our puppy (5 months old) does the same thing fairly regularly. She can sit "prettily" but she more often will sit kind of lazily, with her legs more splayed out (I'll try to get a picture). When she's walking, she also walks kind of funnily sometimes (with her back legs not entirely behind her front legs, like she's walking on an angle, when she's actually walking straight). She's done that since she was 3 months old though. I guess my problem is, hip dysplasia is kind of a scary word, since it's so prevalent in labs, so it got me all worried (both her parents were cleared). She doesn't seem to be showing signs of pain, or having difficulty with the stairs. Hopefully I'm just worrying too much, I just wanted to know how strange it is for a dog/lab to sit like that, and if it's something I should be worrying about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! I knew it was probably nothing to worry about, but when it's mentioned, it's hard not to freak out a bit :)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Some of my prettiest hip xrays came from the laziest sitters as puppies! That's (tight sit) a taught thing in many cases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts