Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just joined today. I have 22 month old Black lab retriever, Harvey. We got him from an accreditted breeder and my mother in law has his brother, call Seth. Harvey was diagnosed with Elbow dysplacia on Monday, and tomorrow he will have surgery on both elbows. Has anyone else expereinced this in a young pup? Any advise would be gratefully recieved, particularly around diet. I have been told that he will need a diet that is high in glucosamine, omega 3 and Chonroitin, whilst being low in fat. The vets has [prescribed a partular brand of food that we have to get on prescriptio. It is very expensive and he doesnt really like it. Does anyone know of other foods that can be bought from the shops that will give him everything he needs?

Posted a picture of the little chap, hope it works!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Sorry, but no advice. Keep us posted on your boy, good thoughts and prayer that all goes well with his surgery. If you don't get many replies here regarding your above question on food...post in Lab chat, it gets the most traffic, I'm sure someone can answer your questions. Anyway, Welcome and good luck with your new pup:)

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the welcomes and information. I will keep you posted on his progress. he just spent a lovely afternoon with his brother, they see each other every day but after the op they wont be able to play for at least 6 weeks. Very nervous and scared for him but i know it is the best option to give him the best chance of a pain free life. I dont care about the cost, i just want my little lad to be better.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He sure is tkeizer, too cute for his own good sometimes!! I have had some really good information about the Elbow dysplacia and will be following up on it all. I have only been a member of the site for 24 hrs but the reponse i have had in the forum and private messages is overwhelming, i cant thank everyone enough. I am so hopeful for his future now x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.