Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is my girl.

Hi!
Long time no visiting this forum. I noticed many new members since my last post. To them hi! Again.
To those who don’t know me, my name is Sergio, I live in Brazil(Petropolis – Rio de Janeiro) and I’m lab blessed as well. Actually, I have two dogs: a 5yo yellow lab named Dash(in honor of the American writer Dashiell Hammett) and a female Akita, former stray who adopted me, named Lupe aka “Minha Loba linda”(say minnia low-ba leenda=my beautiful (she) wolf). The name Lupe cames from Lupus – wolf in latin for she’s quite wolf like and beautiful) Both are the light of my life, along with a couple of other things. Both are doing great by now, but recently Lupe scared me quite a lot. Alow me to tell you the whole story:
Last year(about march) Lupe started to limp with her right front paw. I didn’t pay too much attention to it, but after a while, she was still limping so I took her to the vet who prescribed some analgesics. She got better for a while but after she was limping again and getting worse and worse. I took her then to the best vet in Rio – Dr. Rubens Bittencourt and there, he took an X ray of her paw and gave me the bad news: she had a bone cancer and the only thing to do was amputation and even though he wasn’t sure that it will save her life. Carina my lady, who is MD, also said after looking at the plates, that there wasn’t no doubt about the doctor’s diagnostic. The ugly stain on her bone was there, too cleary. I was devastated, my heart became tiny like a raisin, as we say here. But I decided that I will not mutilate her and keep her until it was possible without her suffering and then put her to sleep. I reckon you could imagine the cost of that decision to me. For a whole week I was down and extremely sad. Couldn’t look at her without breaking in tears. Then I decided to react: I heard about an oncologist vet, Dr. Marianna Cazaux, and I brought Lupe to her, and she said that she could (maybe) try to make my girl last a little bit more with kimiotherapy(not sure if this is the correct form of spelling it). Lupe had 4 sessions with this treatment and meanwhile I did some reacherch as well. So, Lupe begun a new diet, based mainly on proteins and I also started to give her a homeopatic sort of Thuia pills, fish oil and an experimental medicine based on sellenium and zinc. She also had Tramadol for her pains.
After a month on this regime, she stop limping. Carina said that it was good, because it showed it wasn’t only result of the tramadol, but that she was really getting better. Since then, she’s all right. No limping any more. She could jump and run as before. She was even looking as happy as ever. Actually she was looking happy as a chick on the garbage(another Brazilian saying)
Any way, I had to be sure, I knew I had to take a new X ray, but I was fearing a disapointment.
Last week, I gathered all my courage and took her to the X ray. After the worst half hour, the doc brought and showed me the plate: THERE WAS NOTHING. Her bone was white as snow. The doctor was amazed! The bone was Imaculated!!!! The stain was completly gone. WOW!!!!
So, this is my story. I had to share it with you.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
good to see you back on the Forum. How can anyone forget your beautiful Lupe. She is one of a kind.
I was very tense reading your story of her leg and I thought the ending would be not-so-good news.
I am so happy to hear that your Lupe seems to be free and clear and is back to normal health!

Good news..and don't be a stranger to the forum, okay?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hi..I'm a fairly new member. Your story is amazing..and a lesson for all of us..try other things first..if possible..to avoid the worst. I'm so happy for your girl...and for you and your family. Congratulations!!!!!!
Jackie ;D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
thank you for sharing, and welcome back.
And I'm happy to hear the good news!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh it's so good to see you here, Sergio! I'm sorry Lupe had the awful experience but so happy she is now healed. Good job on your part. Kiss them both for me. :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Hi Sergio! SO good to see you again!! :D

That story about Lupe just made my day. Good for you for saving her and for doing everything you can for her. :angel: I hope and pray she continues to do so well.

I assume you have to keep her on this new diet and
I also started to give her a homeopatic sort of Thuia pills, fish oil and an experimental medicine based on sellenium and zinc.
??

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Sergio! Welcome back
Felicitatoes em sus noticias maravilhosas. Eu penso que de o que acontecue e um miracle!
A mais melhor sorte no futuro!

ok I hope I didn't butcher that too badly :D

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Sergio, it's so good to see you again. Just the other day I was thinking about how some of our old members aren't around anymore. I thought about you. Glad to see you drop in.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Hi Sergio. I remember when Lupe adopted you! So glad to hear things turned out for the better for Lupe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts