Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around at some lab forum websites, found this one to be the most informational. I just got my 1st pup on jan 9th. His birthday is Nov. 7th so he is about 3 months old. He is doing great and is basically housebroken, can spend all night or all day in his kennel with no accidents in it. He does not whine at all when he is in it. The leash training is another story still working on that! but Max has been doing very well for the most part, and can sit,shake, and stay. One thing i have noticed lately about anything that drives by when on a walk or another dog is his hair stands up on his back, he is still wagging his tail and shows no sign of aggresion. but i am just courious why he is doing this. Is this anything I should be worried about? thanks

P.S. cant figure out how to add pictures!

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Lola is almost 4 months old and sometimes when she plays with her 1 year old sister Gracie the fur on her back goes up and when we are outside and she is frightened it happens. Not an expert but I don't think it is anything to worry about. Maybe a puppy kindergarten would help.

Welcome:)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Re: hair standing up, it's really hard to say without seeing it in context. It can mean aggression, but it can also mean excitement or being overstimulated. For that matter, a wagging tail can have several meanings as well. They also wag when they're nervous. You really have to see the whole package and all the other body language signals they are sending to be able to make a guess. But, just going on what you've said and gut feeling, I think your puppy may be a little apprehensive about strange things. NOW is the time to work on introducing him to as many different people and objects and experiences as you possibly can! Trust me on this...it will be time well-invested.

I wish someone had told me this when Angus was a little spooky at three months. Had I put the time into socialization that I should have at that age, I would have had a much easier time as he got older. Instead, we've had to do loads of remedial work to make up for him missing this when he was a puppy.

My advice: Make sure your puppy has lots of positive experiences around new people and things and sounds. Incorporate lots of treats and praise into these introductions. Take him everywhere you can and introduce him to as many friendly people of varying ethnicities, heights, weights, etc. as you can find who are willing.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Welcome to the forum. To post a photo you first have to upload it to a photo sharing site like Photobucket. There are several sites like this and most are free for basic uploading. Once the photo is uploaded you copy the link to the photo. Then, when posting a message click on the Insert Image icom at the top of the message box. Another window will pop up where you can then paste the link to your photo.
Hope that helps as we really love to see photos.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Welcome!! Oh my he is adorable!!!

I hope I don't sound like a nag, but you should chuck that rawhide. It's really not good for them and can easily cause intestinal blockage. Go for durable chews like Nylabones, Kongs, etc. :)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Max is a cutie pie. I am not sure what causes the hair standing up, but Bauer (2 years old) does it too. It isn't when he meets other dogs or people face to face, but more when he is in the house and a strange car pulls up or a strange person/animal walks by. I always chalked it up to excitment at the possibly of making a new friend, but being stuck in the house.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Quite a zipper on Max!!

Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Welcome. He is a cutie. My girls hair will stand up when the are playing bitey-face or chasing each other. Not sure what it means. None of my three are aggressive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts