Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Lisa; I'm married with two girls ages 2 and 5. We would like to welcome a lab into our home next spring. I'm starting my research and looking for a repuable breeder. We are located in pa; just outside of Philadelphia, pa. However, that doesn't matter. We would travel high and low for the right lab.

Long story short - can anyone recommend a breeder in new jersey or pa? Than you.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Hey! Welcome. You sound like you're in my backyard. We live about 40miles W of Phila. (not too far from King of Prussia).

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Our dog's breeder was in Asbury NJ (NOT Asbury Park, ASBURY itself), which was just over the Pa/NJ border near Easton. Windy Valley Labradors, breeder JoAnn Dahan. I do not know if she is still raising Labs. She authored a book a few years ago and is busy w/that, so she may have retired her gals......

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Our dog's breeder was in Asbury NJ
No kidding, Dan?! That's where Paul is building a house right now, it's very close to us. I tried doing a search on Windy Valley Labs and nothing came up.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I guess JoAnn retired......

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Welcome! We're in Philadelphia and have family in Bucks County :) This is a great place for labs!

Kudos for doing your research into good breeders - my two came from Maine and NC so I'm no help with local breeders, but you've gotten some great recs!

If you're close to Malvern, once you get your puppy, a boarding kennel/daycare called Wagsworth has free puppy plays on Saturdays - we took our puppy there and it was great socialization!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We live in Bucks County and have 3 Labs. The link above to Buttonwood is a great recommendation. There are a few great breeders around here.
Wendi Huttner is another local breeder...she is in Richboro. Ridgeway Labs. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone - yes, the research begins. It goes the same as far as clearances in labs as it does in goldens, correct. Hips, eyes, elbows and heart?

·
Registered
460 Posts
In my opinion, the minimum clearances are: Hip AND Elbow, an annual CERF exam, and Optigen which does the blood test for PRA. Many breeders are also adding the echocardiogram to receive the OFA cardiac clearance.
let me know if I forgot any?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts