Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's in your garden and how are things going?

So, I have my very first garden planted this year and since it dominates my time I've become obsessed with other people's gardens :) .

I've got the tomatoes and peppers mulched with newspapers and straw. Have had to dust for insects twice so far, had to do some mole control yesterday and have had some deer issues. My tomatoes are over 5 feet tall and fast outgrowing the cages. I'm having a bit of beginner's luck :)

Here's what I've got:

1 Cherry Tomato plant (green fruit set on)
2 Big Beef Tomato plants (also with green fruit)
2 Better Boy Tomato plants (also has green fruit)
6 Green Bell Peppers (have picked 2 so far)
5 Red Bell Peppers (haven't even bloomed yet)
2 Eggplants (have blooms on them)
1 Sweet Basil (have cut and dried twice now)
5 Jalapeno plants (have picked 2 so far)
1 Serrano pepper plant (2 on the plant)
1 Sahuaro pepper plant (have picked 3)
1 Cayenne Pepper plant (peppers just now turning red)
2 Cucumber Plants (bush pickle variety-- have picked 6)
3 rows of corn (deer got two stalks this past weekend.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I would love a garden with veggies but I worry abotu Milly destroying them! Do you have pictures of this gorgeous garden of yours?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I used to have a good veggie garden, but don't really have the right location here. I do have veggies (tomatoes and zukes) in tubs.....and herbs. Lots of plants though....roses, daylilies etc.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I would love a garden with veggies but I worry abotu Milly destroying them! Do you have pictures of this gorgeous garden of yours?
The very reason DH built a fence around mine:) Not that our previous dog Aspen or Sammi would destroy them, they just like to eat the veggies off the vines! I have Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, onions, radishes lots and lots of lettuce, I love fresh lettuce:) Oh and my herbs, orange mint, basil, cilantro, oregano, dill, and parsley! Nothing better then a fresh fruit salad with a little orange mint mixed in it! YUM

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
The very reason DH built a fence around mine:) Not that our previous dog Aspen or Sammi would destroy them, they just like to eat the veggies off the vines! I have Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, onions, radishes lots and lots of lettuce, I love fresh lettuce:) Oh and my herbs, orange mint, basil, cilantro, oregano, dill, and parsley! Nothing better then a fresh fruit salad with a little orange mint mixed in it! YUM
oh well Milly likes to try and remove my plants from pots and bury her toys :roll eyes:

Maybe with a fence it might work... hmmmm...... it might be a good summer project.. when Summer hurries up and arrives!!!!!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
We have.....
2 apple trees
2 peach trees
3 cherry trees
5 blueberry bushes
tomatoes
green, red, and hot peppers
beans
lettuce
strawberries
carrots
asparagus (done)
watermelon
I forgot some.... zucchini, yellow summer squash, and cucumber

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
We have 2 gardens, the large one down by the road, and the raised beds along our driveway. Large garden has:
Corn - 4 kinds
Beans - 4 kinds
Potatoes - 3 kinds
Zuchinni
Yellow Squash
Spagetti Squash
Acorn Squash
Gourds and Pumpkins
Several kinds of sunflowers
Raised beds - 4 kinds of Tomatoes,3 kinds of Peppers, Lots of kinds of lettuce, turnips, beets, Kohlrabi, Swiss Chard ,Rhubarb, and some other "lettucey things" that I can't remember - Also have Grapes, a blueberry plant, and raspberries

We have horrible trouble with deer and rabbits, we have an electric fence around the large garden, but my raised beds have taken a hit. I am making up a "deer repellent" from eggs, garlic, and hot sauce, which you leave to "ferment" and then spray on. We've had a bad problem with potatoe bugs this year also
Starting to pick the squash and green beans. Everything is looking good this year because we've had lots of rain.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I've done an experiment...I had some leftover plastic tubs from when we moved and I've planted herbs, squash (zucchini and yellow), and cucumbers. I got started sort of late so I probably won't have any veggies (if any) for another month, but my herbs are doing great! The dogs ignore them. We don't have room in our yard for a real garden, so this is as good as I can do. We did plant 2 pear trees but I am not sure they are going to make it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
We have a garden. We have some tomatoes (both cherry and a large kind), zucchini, yellow squash, banana peppers, some spicy peppers (hubby's), red and orange bell pepper, a few herbs (cilantro, parsley, mint, etc...), cucumbers, watermelon, strawberries, corn, green beans, canteloupe, lettuce, broccoli, and I don't know what all else. We plant acres with my parents every fall and spring. We go over there and pick on the weekends (or the kiddos get the job since they love it). :)

We also have a pear tree, apple trees (some type of red, crabapple, and granny smith), fig tree, peach trees, apricot tree, wild persimmon (yuck), huckleberries, wild strawberries (yuck again), blackberries, raspberries, muscadines, and blueberries. We planted an orange tree recently, but I don't know how well that will work here - we'll see...

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I have seven hanging pots (upside down) with tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, and green peppers. They are doing well, all have flowers and one plant has tomatoes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts