Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our middle-button, Claire, wants DESPERATELY to read the Twilight series. She's 12 and a voracious reader who has chewed through the Harry Potter books with nary a flinch (she's now reading Little Women).

She IS, when it comes to movies, a little squeamish. And with matters romantic, she's rather naive.

So my question: I know you don't know her, but based on the above, would you see any reason for her to *not* be okayed?

I would read the book first if she weren't so desperate for an answer that she cannot wait one more SECOND!!!!

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
It is very romantic, and not at all sexual. Like, not at *all*, which was a little frustrating, to tell the truth. I would let my 12 year old read them (when she turns 12, that is) and I am an uber-cautious mom. =)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm on a site that is a parental guide to lit (www.factsonfiction.org), much in the same way as those movie ones.

The overall redeeming qualities:

While vampires are not generally included on lists of inspiring characters, the Cullens are no ordinary vampires. These are vampires with a conscience. Despite their longing for human blood, the Cullens have chosen to abstain from their instinctively sinister desires in favor of a morally acceptable diet, hunting and feeding upon animals instead. They show strong family traits of cooperation, encouragement, and love toward one another. Their talents and abilities are frequently used to save human lives rather than end them, particularly in the case of their leader, Dr. Carlisle Cullen. They demonstrate a desire to live peacefully among humans on many occasions. They often put themselves or their best interests at risk for one another, or for other people, showing sacrifice, honor, kindness, integrity, and respect. Their self-imposed dietary restrictions are the ultimate in self-control. Bella Swan, the human heroine of the story, also exhibits selflessness and concern for others on many occasions. Her willingness to move to a town she hated to live with her father, so her mother could have the freedom to be with her new husband as he traveled is but one example of her sacrificial nature.
The mushy parts:

Romance is the major theme of this novel, which chronicles the love that develops between Bella Swan, a seventeen-year-old high school student who has recently moved to Forks, Washington, and Edward Cullen, local vampire. There are numerous references regarding their attraction to one another, flirtatious behavior between the two, passionate kisses, and gentle caresses, as well as declarations of their feelings toward one another. In addition, being the “new girl” in town, Bella captured the interests of many other boys who attempted to flirt with her and invited her on dates.
The nail-biting stuff:

FRIGHTENING SCENES
With vampires as some of the main characters, this novel is full of frightening scenes.

p.56 Bella is almost hit by a van in the school parking lot.

p.158-161 Bella is walking alone through a deserted part of town when she realizes a group of men have taken an interest in her. “…I realized with a shock that two men were walking quietly twenty feet behind me. They were from the same group I’d passed at the corner…A chill that had nothing to do with the weather made me shiver again…lounging against the…building, midway down the street, were the other two men from the group, both watching with excited smiles as I froze dead on the sidewalk. I realized then that I wasn’t being followed. I was being herded.”

p.378-379 In this passage, three traditional vampires who are passing through the area, come upon Edward and Bella as Edward’s family is playing a game of baseball. One of the outsiders catches a whiff of Bella’s scent and realizes she is human. He immediately assumes a predatory position and Edward responds with one of his own, preparing to protect Bella if necessary. “A swift rigidity fell on all of them as James lurched one step forward into a crouch. Edward bared his teeth, crouching in defense, a feral snarl ripping from his throat….it was the single most menacing thing I had ever heard, and chills ran from the crown of my head to the back of my heels.”

p.390-404 This entire chapter is very frightening for Bella. The Cullen family realizes that James is after Bella. The family is rushing around trying to get Bella out of town to safety to hide her until the others can hunt James down and kill him. James is close behind, a continual threat. “‘The tracker followed us. He’s running behind us now.’ My body went cold.”

p.427-430 Bella receives a phone call from the tracker. He tells her she must meet him in a specific location or he will kill her mother. Bella is terrified through the entire conversation. “My joints were frozen with terror …I had no choices now but one: to go to the mirrored room and die.”

p.443-451 “Terror seized me so strongly that I was literally trapped by it. I couldn’t make my feet move forward…. I was definitely sick now. There was pain coming, I would see it in his eyes. It wouldn’t be enough for him to win, to feed and go…Then he slumped forward, into a crouch I recognized, and his pleasant smile slowly widened, grew, till it wasn’t a smile at all but a contortion of teeth, exposed and glistening. I couldn’t help myself – I tried to run.”
I'm interested in other opinions, but in general, I'm thinking she'll be okay.....

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OMG I really have to finish this book!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
The last one is the only one that you'd have a problem with, Dan. I wasn't going to let my Madi read it but her mother bought if for her before I could read it and say NO.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
You're OK. I caught the King bug early too.

I think she'll be fine, Dan. The passages they've picked out are as nail-biting as it gets so if you think she can handle that, then you'll be fine.

Now - depending on her ability to handle nail-bitedness, you might want to read Breaking Dawn (Book4) first before she gets to it. It's the only one that could be problematic.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
'kay. thx

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Speaking of King, has anyone read his latest collection of short stories? Just After Sunset?

OMG -- The final story in that collection is VINTAGE SK!!!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I haven't yet. I wait until I can get his short stories cheap at the half-price book store so I can keep them. Those are ones I like to read and re-read.

(I WAS reading Cell a few weeks ago. We came home from church and Kacey had it shredded all over the living room floor - and it was hardcover! Haven't replaced it yet.)

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I have a confession: Pete and I read aloud to each. Actually Pete does most of the reading since he took a full year of voice and diction and is AWESOME at different dialects.

So, since he hasn't read a lot of the Stephen King books...we've been going through them in chronological order - we started with Carrie in college. We just finished Eyes of the Dragon (do even have that title right?) The reason why we haven't got that far is because we alternate with Harry Potter books. We just started the 5th one. (You should hear his Hagrid LOL)

So while we have all the Stephen King books...I haven't read anything past Insomnia. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, man. I could never. As in agree to be read to.

I HATE being read to.

EC will drive me bonkers: "Did you see this article in the paper? A cow was born in Uttomwa, IA, with three heads. Here, I'll read it to you: 'A three-headed cow was born in Uttomwa, IA, this week...'"

And my eyes just glaze over.

Hand me the frigging copy. Let me read it for myself. And stop reading to me.

I think that's partly why PPT presentations zombie me out; I know for 256 slides in a row, I'm going to be 'read' to. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
FWIW- My 11yr old is reading the series. She's on the last book. That's the only one I was hesitant to let her read.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Twilight is ok. But then she will want to read the whole series. The last book is where I might be hesitant letting her read it.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Oh, man. I could never. As in agree to be read to.

I HATE being read to.

EC will drive me bonkers: "Did you see this article in the paper? A cow was born in Uttomwa, IA, with three heads. Here, I'll read it to you: 'A three-headed cow was born in Uttomwa, IA, this week...'"

And my eyes just glaze over.

Hand me the frigging copy. Let me read it for myself. And stop reading to me.

I think that's partly why PPT presentations zombie me out; I know for 256 slides in a row, I'm going to be 'read' to. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................
Its more like having my own books on tape machine. I can play with the dogs, do my nails, clean or bake all the while getting the latest on Harry and his pals or the latest creepy creature from Kings demented mind.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
As most have said, she'll be fine with it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that started reading King at 10...

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its more like having my own books on tape machine. I can play with the dogs, do my nails, clean or bake all the while getting the latest on Harry and his pals or the latest creepy creature from Kings demented mind.
I'm not big on books-on-tape, either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts