Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Milly got spayed, did the vet tattoo inside her ear? I noticed my GSD has a tattoo inside her left ear when I was combing her one day. I was going to ask my vet about it but I haven't had to go for ages. (I've probably jinxed myself now) :suspious: I thought it might have been some sort of ID marking like a microchip but my neighbour said his Rottie had the same thing when he got her spayed.

Is that normal in NSW? If so, what's the point? I've never seen it before. :confused:

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Not completely related, but Abbey was spayed and got a tattoo on the skin on her belly where there is no fur.

I got her from a shelter, which also has a vet clinic, and it is required that the dog be spayed/neutered at their facility, so perhaps it has to do with where you get it done? :confused:

I know lots of other people around me that go to other places that do not do tattooing at all...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well.. i'm not sure if its related but i'm in Tas, and my cat is tattooed on his ear, as were my previous cats. The local vets use it as a means of id, and its done free at the same time as spraying, but we had to sign consent forms, but we were told it was less risky than a microchip. He had a green ear for a few days though, as it dyed his fur. I don't know why your vet wouldn't tell you they had done it.....

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Homicidalmaniac said:
I don't know why your vet wouldn't tell you they had done it.....
He probably didn't know either because I adopted her after Jo died. She's 10 going on for 11. Her previous owners only went to my vets once & that was for her vaccinations & to tell them they wanted a new home for her. I already told my vets, if I couldn't find another Lab, I'd consider adopting another breed so I was the first one she rang.

Next time I have to go, I'll ask them if they know what it is.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Garth

Umm.... I have not noticed a tattoo on Miss Milly. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Cheers Sarah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts