Just Labradors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I enjoyed Cell better, even though I found that derivative, too. Steve's creative well -- after 40 years -- may be drying up a little. Pieces of Lisey's Story (and Cell, for that matter) seemed veerrrry familiar....

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
I never even got around to reading Cell.

Do you ever read Dean Koontz? He's sort of Steven King-y. He's got a series of books about a guy who "sees dead people" for lack of a better description to solve mysteries or prevent future tragedies. So far I've only read the first of the 3, Odd Thomas, but I really liked it.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Koontz always has either a Lab or a Golden in his stories. And his heroes are always California-based. His best book EVER, IMHO, is Watchers.

Ever read Robert McCammon? A Boy's Life is an incredibly good book -- a li'l scary in spots but unbelievably good.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
McCammon is, unfortunately, a one-book wonder. I've read some of his other stuff, and it sucked!!

Somebody should get a screenplay going for "A Boy's Life." In the hands of a great director, it would be a classic!!

My to-read list is also huge. I love reading!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Yes, I've read it. It was okay in my opinion, better than some of his efforts in recent years. I think he's just about pumped the well dry.

I've been a fan forever tho. The first book of his I ever read was The Shining and I had to read it outside in the open in the broad daylight, and when I finished it I had to get rid of it. I've never had another book affect me quite in that way. After several years went by, I bought and reread it, and was okay. I still think it's his best one, altho I really really liked the one he cowrote "The Talisman".

Frances

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
{{{SPOILERS - - DON'T SAY YOU WEREN'T WARNED!!!! SPOILERS AHEAD!! WHOOP-WHOOP! WARNING, WILL ROBINSON!!}}}

The whole Boolya Moon place was odd, in much the same way as the Territories were odd and that place that Dolores Claiborn (or was it Rose Madder? Or both??) escaped to was odd. And I think he got tripped up with too many flashbacks of flashbacks of flashbacks.

But the Zack McCool stuff was good. And Scott's horrid childhood and the memories locked there. THAT was the best part of the book, the monsters who live in suburbia and eat childhoods, rather than the monsters who live in made-up worlds and eat villains.

I think my favorite SK book is The Green Mile. I cried real tears at the end. On the beach. On summer vacation. Amid a crowd of people on their blankets and chairs.

In a lifetime of reading, I've only been brought to real tears by one other author in one other book: John Grogan and Marley & Me.

But that said, I loved King's Cujo and The Shining and The Dead Zone and Pet Sematary scared the BEJESUS out of me.

"Darling, it said." Blghghghghghghghgh!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
It was Claiborne and Madder both I think. And all those you named I liked, plus I really liked "It" and "The Stand". It was when we got into The Langoliers and Insomnia and whatever some of that other mess was with the Red King and the cosmological significance of everything that I snoozed out....

Frances

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sam I Am said:
It was Claiborne and Madder both I think. And all those you named I liked, plus I really liked "It" and "The Stand". It was when we got into The Langoliers and Insomnia and whatever some of that other mess was with the Red King and the cosmological significance of everything that I snoozed out....

Frances
OOh, Forgot about It and that ol' Pennywise. ~~shudder~~ ("He thrusts his fist against the post and still insists he sees the ghosts!") And yes, The Stand. Read that 2x: once as-published and once in the expanded version. Loved both!

Somewhere around Rose Madder, he got STUCK on an eclipse in and around Derry, and every single book thereafter had the danged eclipse in it. MOVE ALONG STEPHEN!!

And speaking of moving along -- I disliked the opening books of The Gunslinger intensely. As the series unfolded I came to appreciate it, but I never fell in love with it (save for Oy!). I was glad, though, that he brought it to a close.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Now I was just the opposite there. I loved the opening Gunslinger books, and disliked the subsequent ones. But of course I had to keep reading to see how he was ever going to resolve it. And while I didn't like the ending, I could see how it might be the only possible one! Loved Oy! And was partial to 'Detta.

How could you not cringe at the lobstrosities...Dad a chick? Did a chum?

Frances

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, yes, the Lobstrosities were appropriately creepy. As was Blaine the Train.

But all that hopping back and forth between the Territories and NYC and on and on....

I don't think he really found his footing w/this story until he resurrected it after the long hiatus. All of a sudden, it became much more structured and readable. Maybe because he had finally decided on an ed-end-game.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sam I Am said:
Question: Out of all of the books, and all the characters (human/animal/mix?), who was your favorite?

Frances
Oh, man! That's a toughie.

Off the top of my head, and knowing I'll slap myself for forgetting some:

John Coffey, obviously, from The Green Mile
Duddits from Dreamcatcher
Judd Crandall from Pet Sematary
Li'l Charlie McGee from Firestarter
Nurse Annie Wilks from Misery

King has a way of capturing children on paper that I find so incredibly natural and accurate that it stuns me every time at how 'right' it is. Danny Torrence. The Loser's Club. Gage Creed. The kids in "The Body." Even young Scott Landon.

The most unforgettable to me, out of all his writing, is the simple beauty of the short story "The Last Rung on the Ladder." You can *smell* the hay in that barn......

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I haven't read many of his short stories. Out of all the characters in all the stuff I've read, I believe that my favorite was Wolf from The Talisman.
Oh, and have you read the Bachman books? Rage, The Running Man, The Long Mile?

Frances

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sam I Am said:
I haven't read many of his short stories. Out of all the characters in all the stuff I've read, I believe that my favorite was Wolf from The Talisman.
Oh, and have you read the Bachman books? Rage, The Running Man, The Long Mile?

Frances
Yup - All of it. Like a dieter at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

His monsters are absolutely unforgettable: Christine, Cujo, the Vampires in Salem's Lot, the ghosts of the Overlook ("Unmask! Unmask!").

Thanks to Firestarter, I'll never quite look trustingly into the maw of a garbage disposal again.

And some of his descriptions just get into your brain and stay there. When Chruch was hit by the truck in Pet Sematary, Louis goes and retrieves the body, which has laid out on the shoulder of the road through a frosty night. When he lifts the carcass, the cat separating from the ground makes the sound of a piece of scotch tape being peeled from a paper. It's just so PERFECT!!

"Kite Flyen, Dadee! Kite Flyen!!" Heart-breaking.

And Oz the Gweat and Tewwible. ~~shudder~~

1 - 18 of 18 Posts