Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "horse-y" thread reminded me of this.

How is Paul doing?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Aw thanks for thinking of him :happy:

We had an ultrasound of his stifle done yesterday to check for soft tissue damage. The joint looked awesome, cartilage was intact and looked good, there was mild damage to the lateral patellar ligament and lateral meniscus - but nothing that shouldn't heal along with the fracture. I was so relieved!

We bought him some "toys" for his stall to keep him occupied since he can't come out for the next 3-4 months, and he seems pretty happy! It helps too that it's been so icy that all the horses are staying in - so he's got lots of company in the barn. I go home on the weekends and pamper him, and my Mom is able to be out with him every day, playing games, grooming, and checking on him. He seems to be enjoying the attention, hamming it up for anyone who walks by his stall :D

Next up is another round of radiographs on February 20th to see how well the bone is healing.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awwww, I'm glad to hear that he is doing well :D

Give him a smooch for me!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I will thanks :D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Good! Sound like he's on the mend.

Have you and your vet discussed the possibility of starting him on some chondroprotectants? He'll probably end up with some OA in that joint eventually no matter what you do, but maybe you can delay its onset.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
We have him on Cosequin now. We did Adequan for a while last year, but saw no difference when he was being ridden so I'm hesitant to shell out for that again. He's also on a supplement, whose name escapes me, it's liquid and has G&C, HA, and some sugar in it. And he gets injected up front every three months as well - he has some wonderfully "musical" old man joints :happy:

Anything else you've heard of that we could think about adding? He has a tendency to colic at the slightest change, so I'm always a little leery of adding stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts