Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are Frips? Are they like potato chips? If so, are they different than regular potato chips? They sound like they would be some sort of combo between fries and chips.

Also, (that reminds me) when I go to Canada in two months, where can I get poutine? Fast food places?

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Never heard of Frips, but if you want REAL poutine, you're going to have to go to Montreal.

They do have fries with cheese and gravy at some fast food places though.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what part of Canada are you visiting?
Going to spend a couple days in Halifax, then the rest of the week in PEI. All I've ever been to is Ontario, mainly the Niagara Falls area.

This is all I can find on Frips:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I am going to be 37 this year and have lived in Canada all my life and have never heard of Frips. ::)

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
35, Nova Scotia my entire life. No Frips on the East Coast. Poutine? Montreal. DO NOT order poutine in a fast food place, it will be nowhere near the same.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
never heard of them either.. maybe an east coast thing?

You'll love Halifax.. make sure to take in the Civic Gardens and Point Pleasant Park

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
kaytris said:
never heard of them either.. maybe an east coast thing?

You'll love Halifax.. make sure to take in the Civic Gardens and Point Pleasant Park
The Public Gardens ;). CoCosmom& I can give you the scoop on things to do & see here in Halifax. I go to PEI every summer, but CoCosmom is from there so she knows all of the great spots. Ooooh, you HAVE to go to New Glasgow Lobster Suppers though!

K

·
0 Posts
if you find a costco, get poutine there. dont need a membership for the food court.

i thought frips were corn chips but i guess not

K

·
0 Posts
oic, they're supposed to be chip fries from mccain.
i've had em before in a restaurant, but never at home.
probably in the fry department of the grocery store, just never really looked there.

gorgeous sig by the way

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I have no idea what frips are. But I have to say, you MUST take in a New Glasgow lobster supper. Or a Fisherman's Wharf one, one or the other. It's sooooooo worth it.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
yeah.. never heard of frips here either.. as far as poutine at a fast food joint.. sure you can.. i know burger king has em but it's pretty salty from what i remember.. excellent night of drunkeness food.

So what if it's not the same as the quebec stuff.. you've never had the quebec stuff, you won't know the difference.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
kelli said:
So what if it's not the same as the quebec stuff.. you've never had the quebec stuff, you won't know the difference.
Good point - I think as long as you get it made with cheese curds, you're golden.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Of course the original Quebecois poutine will trump the others but when that is not an option - BK Poutine is not bad and Harvey's poutine is quite good. Like kelli said, great 'the day after the night before' fare ;)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
There are a few places in Halifax that serve a decent poutine. They are usually Greek or Lebanese places, that's the funny part. We always used to go to a little take out place called Alexandra's for poutine on our way home from a night out...

Never heard of Frips either.

You will love Halifax and PEI! :)

R

·
0 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you to the maritimes, WELCOME!
Things to do:
Sit down take a load off, relax and have a Keiths beer. Go for a stroll on the waterfront (Halifax or otherwise), Dont look in the harbour, it's not pretty. :eek: Don't be suprised at the amount of people who look you in the eye and wave at you as you walk down the streets. Poutine or Mozza Fries (as Cape Bretoners call it) is yummy, but if you've never eaten a Donair(pronounced doe-nair), you need to try one while in Halifax, Toulanies(SP?) is the best! Seafood is always a good thing to eat in these parts as it is always fresh, right now it is scollop fishing season, and this time of year they are huge and yummy.

Have a great Vacation.

:)

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Janna and Boomer said:
What are Frips? Are they like potato chips? If so, are they different than regular potato chips? They sound like they would be some sort of combo between fries and chips.
I guess it's up to the Aussies to save the day. :angel:

If in doubt, ask Uncle Google. :angel: Uncle Google says they're a species of potato chip. You'll find everything you ever wanted to know about Frips here:

http://www.mccainusa.com/fs_potato/brands/frips_home.aspx

http://www.mccainusa.com/fs_potato/brands/frips_menu_login.aspx

http://www.mccainusa.com/fs_potato/content/prod_mc_results.aspx?chpId=368

1 - 20 of 47 Posts