Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two dog behavioral problem

My dog being introduced for the first time, Hershey Kisses, 5 month old female chocolate lab.
Son’s dog being introduced for the first time, Newman, 5 year old yellow lab. Note: Newman is a large (95 lbs.) gentle dog around all, other dogs, children, infants, he has an 11 month old sister, my granddaughter. Newman also has arthritis in his hips according to vet, I think it is hip displasia.

We have been the personal boarding kennel when my son is out of town, maybe 4 weekends a year, and one full week a year. He is due to be gone a week in June, and we have been working on socializing the two dogs. At Newman’s it is for about an hour, in the back yard, once a week, three times so far, with no incidents. Hershey in more interested in Newman than visa versa. There is enough room for Newman to avoid Hershey, although there are periods of mutual chasing and sniffing.

At Hershey’s house, three visits, all with poor or disastrous results.
(1) Our fault. We brought Hershey home at 10 weeks old, Newman was at our house with his owner. It was great for about an hour (inside), Newman behaving as a proud father, Hershey anxious to play. Then disaster. Newman found one of his rawhide bones, laid down to chew. Hershey came up behind sniffing. Myself and son sitting on the floor with the two dogs within reach. No warning, other than we should have known, Newman struck biting Hershey across the muzzle. One puncture, lots of blood an 24 hours at the emergency vets. Hershey is fine, and does well with other dogs.
(2) Good visit, about two hours, inside and out. Then as Newman was getting harnessed up for the drive home, Hershey comes up along side to investigate, and Newman snarls, snaps, misses. My son restrains him and establishes dominance over Newman, Hershey in cowering in the corner as I take care of him checking for wounds. None.
(3) Good visit for about an hour then…. Dogs are getting along, although Newman is not interested in playing and Hershey is. I am on the floor with Newman next to me, and Hershey comes up the opposite side. Newman repeats the action of visit (2), My son and I take care of the two dogs in the same manner. Hershey gives Newman a wide birth for the next hour, things seems to have settled. However when we sit down for dinner, I crate Hershey because we will not be as attentive to the situation as we eat.

Okay, We have about four weeks to work with these two dogs before I am going to have them both for a week. How loudly can I scream HELP!!!!!!

Endofile

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am no professional but it seems the older dog is guarding 1- food 2- people (you). So he is guarding resources and people. The other incident was when he was restrained. Many dogs do not feel comfortable meeting or being around another dog when they are leashed.

Outside seems to be no problem so they can be together outside but cannot be together inside. When indoors, the pup has to be separated from the older dog. He may be in pain from his hip and not appreciate the pup jumping on him, wanting to play. And he has made it clear that he does not want the pup near his things and will guard them from him to the point of biting and drawing blood.

I would be very concerned about leaving them alone at all, unsupervised. Usually, they say to let the dogs work it out on their own but the older dog has already shown he will bite. And I would never forgive myself if something happened to the pup on my watch.

Unless you can get them together frequently from now until then, and work through these issues with a trainer, perhaps, I would be concerned about having them together for an extended amount of time.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

I/we are concerned about the very issues your bring up. It will be a long time before I leave these two together unsuprvised (closely).
I am sure the first incident was food protection. My son and I are the only two that can get between Newman and his food. We have worked on this, but the wives are too afraid when Newman starts to growl. He tried that on my son and I at first, but foundout that he didn't like us sitting on him and holding him on his back when he did it.

The second two incidents, I do not think are protecting anything. I belive they are threatening, plus, to get out of my space. We have to get this resolved. The families spend too much time together and these dogs are part of the family. Even if Newman doesn't like it. We will find a way to get this under control. I would love to finda way to do it with a doll and hot Hershey Kisses.

Still looking for ideas, we are willing to try anything that won't injure either animal.

Enidofile

·
Registered
219 Posts
There are some really smart people on this forum who have tons of experience with these issues. I know they will be able to offer you some great suggestions.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
You said that YOU or your son is putting Newman on his back ?? Is this to "establish dominance" over the dog ? I really don't think that is a good idea, unless you are professional and know all the consequinces........ if I were you, I'd consult a "behaviorist"....... it does sound like resource guarding ..... the dog CAN be repatterned, but it is a lot of time and work........ like I said, I think a behaviorist would be your best bet. An obedience trainer is not the same thing as a behaviorist, either. Good luck, and I hope you can find a professional near to you.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply!

Dehaviourist? New term for me. We have puupy class tonight, I will ask for a lead there. Thanks again.

Endofile

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS: I will learn to uyse spell check also.

Endofile

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the idea was to establish dominance. I do not understand the negative consequences. Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
If you don't know what youre doing and have some expertise in doing it, you can actually make the dog more aggressive.
That's what the poster meant. Resource guarding and fear aggression are serious issues and many times warrant consultation with a professional trainer who has experience in these areas.

It is well worth the price you pay now, to assure peace and appropriate behavior in the future. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I am going to have to find someone experienced in this type of behavior. The trainer I asked last night only had separation as a solution and a basket muzzle if they couldn't be kept separated. I don't like either of those solutions so I need to find someone knowledgeable to help resolve the situation. My hope is that as Hershey grows and matures, the issue will resolve itself. Unfortunately, I don't know that I have the patience to wait for that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts