Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I treat this? She had her nephew Louie here with her for 10 days and he has been home with his Mom and Dad for the last three. She has just not been herself and I was getting concerned. I found her like this today and it just had Canine Depression written all over it.

Poor girl! I took her out to the dog park to play with her friends there and to get some fetching in. She seems a little better now.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I suspect you're right on both counts, Ed -- the diagnosis and the cure. Karen Overall, DVM, an expert on canine mental illnesses, says dogs do get many of the same ones (MIs) that people get

You'll need to sub for Louie and do more playing, walking, fetching with HK.

At Topeka State Hospital in its active years of ward treatment and before the later days of admission, quickly get them on meds, get them discharged as soon as possible, we used what was called an Anti-Depressive Regime -- -

-- increased levels of staff-patient interaction,
-- demands for an increased activity level from the patient, etc.

It worked very well for certain types of our depressed patients and I think it's what HK needs.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Just keep doing what you're doing Ed. Pay some special attention to her and she'll come around.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said, just get her out and play lots with lots of special attention.

Also, I'd like to add that it looks like she's putting a pretty good depression in that sofa. :)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Great suggestions but all, or, Daisy could just come on over and sub in for Louie a bit!

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
She looks like I feel. I think it is called winter!
I think a sister or brother is the best answer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Abby, our 6 y/o, was getting kind of lethargic last summer and then Max (2) came into our lives. She perked right up, lost weight and got busy with him.

We have a chocolate puppy as of Sunday and Abby is not pleased. I'm not sure she's depressed, but she sure is pouting. She's and Max are getting extra attention and reassurance and the pup, Toby, is not at all put out. He couldn't care less what they thing of him...he's too busy to worry :D

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
poor girl - sounds like you have the right idea to help her (extra pets and trips to the dog park).
I do have to say - though pitiful her sleeping position is very cute!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
If I go for a few weeks and am really busy and not getting in a lot of training, I end up with two very mopey dogs on my hands. They are spoiled rotten, and fully believe that they are entitled to training and fetch sessions, nightly, without fail, and there is no excuse for me not doing this. :p

It is amazing how they perk up when we get back to their usual routine. They start following me around with great interest again, come enthusiastically whenever they're called, greet me at the door with full-body wags, and so on.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
When Theo's best buddy comes to visit, he's (Theo is) always very mopey for a couple days after he leaves. He looks like this:

I usually get down on the floor with him and play doggy games. Wrestling, pawing him, tugging, etc. I look like an ass but so what. He enjoys it and it seems to bring him out of his funk.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Maybe after ten days of playing with Louie she's just exhausted! Or maybe not. I agree with the others, she needs a play mate at home!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, guys! You all had great suggestions, but reality has to take hold here.

(1) I have been married to the same woman for 42 years now. We know each others, strengths, weaknesses, preferences, and limits. If i were to bring a permanent sister or brother for HK into the house, I would be finding charges on the credit card from a lawyer specializing in divorce. Dog parks, visits from her nephews, playtime with a couple neighbor dogs, and maybe a playdate with some other JL furkids will just have to do.
(2) Its not like she doesn't get attention, two trips daily to the DP? How many other dogs get two trips a day? Of course, she won't get to go today. I am sitting in the 'Eye Hospital?' as my DW is having cataract surgery on her left eye. Maybe she will be okay this afternoon and HK will get to go once.
(3) Since I have retired, HK has gotten more attenion than ever before. I think she is just milking the situation for whatever she can. Stopped at the vets office Tuesday, just because we were going by, she has put on 2 lbs since November. Okay, its just her winter weight to keep her warm. Something she just does. NOPE! Okay, she is getting less exercise fetching and fewer trips to the DP. NOPE! Okay, the spoiled princess is getting more treats from Dad because he is home. YES! Yep! The poor girl is depressed from lack of attention. <NOT>
(4) I think HK is just missing Louie a bit and will get over it. Actually, I think Dad saw that position, her back end up on the extra cushion, her sad head lower, and couldn't resist grabbing the phone for the pic. And she got a good session of head patting and body rubs out of it.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts