Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SU was at the gas station. He had the girls with him. A man came up to him to ask about Molly & Abby. He said "nice looking dogs." He said he has a Brittany/lab mix at home & wanted to breed him. :eek: SU said "they are spayed." Man said "too bad." :rolleyes:

Like I would breed my girls to a lab mix. I had them spayed and would not even breed them to a titled dog. We don't breed. SU figured, why bother explaining things to this man, it was obvious he knew nothing about dogs. :(

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
People like that haven't a clue! I'm not surprised by stuff like that though. When we first got Cybil we had neighbours who had a male yellow and they asked us several times if we would breed her with their dog, each time we would tell them no. After she was spayed they acted surprised because they thought we would have changed our minds. Duh.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I don't know - I think it is always worth explaining. You never know if your thoughts will be the tipping point that makes them see the light. If I did not think that way I would not bother with giving any advice on a lab board.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I get asked on a somewhat regular basis if Sally is spayed and then the disappointment because they would love to have her be the honoree of producing their studly dog's puppies.

We're around a lot of field trial/hunting types and they all love her "work ethic" as they call it and also think she's really a "good lookin' dog."

Even if you overlook the whole ethical/moral reasons against indiscriminate breeding like that, I wouldn't have that puppy mess for all the money in the world. That is just not my lifestyle! :rolleyes:

I'm glad there are lab breeders out there who do it and enjoy it, but no thank you! :p

·
Registered
315 Posts
As Ron White would say, "You can't fix stupid" I've had people ask me about Ike, and he's handicapped!! They just see he's a chocolate lab and everything else goes out the window.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
You know, I find it so offensive when I read these stories (not the posters...just the fact that this happens!) How would some of these people like it if someone came up to them and said "Hey...I have a son and want grandchildren...can we borrow your daughter? I think they would make really cute kids." Ugh.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heck yes.....I could have those rare "Brittndors." :D.

Like I would pick a stud dog at the gas station. :rolleyes: I feel sorry for the pups that may come if that man finds someone just as clueless. We knew when we got Abby that she may be one heck of a hunt trial dog, but our breeder knew no matter what....we would never breed her. Way too many labs out there that need homes & for the good breeders....let them do all the clearences etc & produce good labs...there will always be labs that I can get....no need to add more. Besides....I know squat about breeding.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I had a guy at the dog park today ask me if I would breed Champ to his female Golden. :rolleyes:

I had the boys there to play and he was coming out of the boarding area. He stood there and watched Champ retrieving ChuckIt balls, then came over to the fence. Chatted for a minute, said he'd just dropped his female Golden off for boarding and commented on Champ and his love for retrieving the ball, said his female didn't like to retrieve much. I said that some dogs don't, that Buddy wouldn't at all before, but since he's been around Champ he will do a few retrieves before he decides it's too much like work.

"Say, I have a great idea! How about we breed my female to your male so I could get some good retrievin' puppies? You could have one of 'em, for the stud fee!" :eek: Uh no. First, that would result in a litter of mutts, which is never a good thing. Second, my male has been neutered! And third, if your girl isn't such a great Retriever, you should have her spayed and not add to the over-population of dogs.

No, you can't fix stupid. :mad:

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Now that is just flippin' unbelievable. Someone with a mixed breed, deliberately seeking to "breed" it. :mad: That totally takes the cake. Are there not enough unwanted puppies and dogs in the world for this guy?

I was in a meeting at work the other day and a couple of the young girls were chatting before it got started. One of them mentioned that her friend's dog had puppies. Yadda yadda, then one of them said, "Yeah, you can make a lot of money breeding dogs." The other girls nodded emphatically.

:eek:

I am already a "crazy dog lady" to these people, so I didn't want to further cement my iffy reputation by saying what I thought about that comment.

Another friend at work got a Brittany and didn't want to spay her because she might breed her someday. :rolleyes: Trust me, this was not a breeding-quality dog (well, *****).

The same girl has an Invisible Fence. Her Brittany was cornered in her yard by a coyote a few weeks ago. Solution? Get another dog so they can defend theirselves.

People are so much fun.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I'd probably have been about like your SU. The stipidity out there is just overwhelming to me. SO far no one has asked me to use Tal or Barney to stud. It would be a little difficult since they are both neutered! Like Georgie, I never had any intention of doing anything with them as far as any kind of breeding.

I think the saying you cant fix stupid pretty well sums it up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts