Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend's 4 y.o. son has been in Winthrop Hospital for a week now. It started with compaints of "knee" pain followed by a fever of 102 that his parents couldn't bring down. They went to the emergency room and he was admitted. MRI's aren't showing anything, bloodwork is showing slightly higher white count signaling a likely infection, IV with antibiotics. On Sunday they chose to draw fluid from his hip, fluid was not clean so they opened surgically and cleaned out the fluid. They've concluded it's a viral infection, fever continuiing at night only. Knee pain seems to be on and off. I'm baffled, my fear is a blood or bone infection or worse, parents are intelligent people but what they've shared just doesn't seem right to me.

I've suggested they bring in another doctor, get another opinion, but they like the doctor at the hospital. This is sensitive stuff during a sensitive and emotional time so I won't butt in, I'm not family just a friend. Do you have any insight??

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My first thought is lyme disease. Jared first got it when he was three, started with the knee pain. He got it again a couple of years later. You don't necessarily have to have the typical "bullseye" spot from the bite. He didn't the 2nd time.

Have they checked for that??

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paddysmom said:
On Sunday they chose to draw fluid from his hip, fluid was not clean so they opened surgically and cleaned out the fluid.
I don't understand that part. Cleaned out the fluid? I'm stumped. *goes to find a doc on the floor...*
That's exactly what I mean, it just doesn't sound right.

MidwestGirl said:
sorry but when I hear things like this ..my first thought is some type of cancer! I HOPE that's NOT it.
That's what I mean when I wrote "or worse". Winthrop Hospital is known for treating pediatric cancers.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Lyme is my first thought.

Other thing I was thinking...Meningitis..but then he shouldn't be retaining fluid in his joints...Fluid retention for meningitis happens in the spinal cord and brain. Sooo fever, headache, neck pain..etc etc would be the symptoms.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
just did a google search.

Have they checked his lymph nodes for tumours?

kidneys ok? (uncle's kidney started to shut down he had similar symptoms)
Liver Ok?

Could be so many different things :(

Prayers for the little one and his family. Hope they can figure out what it is in time.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lyme...I didn't even think of that. I just called his mom back and mentioned this possibility, she said she was going to speak with the infectious disease doctor to ask if this could possibly be. I do believe that lyme mimics a viral infection, whether or not the "redness" of the bite is evident. He's got the lethargy, fever, knee pain. I also asked about the "dirty fluid" from the hip. The orthopedist had a MRI done since he was in pain when walking and wanted the hip xrayed. They found fluid. The fluid was cloudy and they wanted to check for bacterial infection. There was no growth over the week since this procedure so they ruled out bacterial and are labeling the infection as viral. Oy...this doesn't sound very good.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Randi - Have them look at Kawasaki Disease. That can make you feel achy and sore (similar to Lyme). It also brings a fever that can't be brought down. My daughter had it a year ago last Feb (when she was 4). It's a very strange virus that is hard to pick up, but if not treated can affect the heart. The ONLY treatment is an IV treatment of gamma globulin in a hospital.

Please, please have them suggest this. I belong to a KD forum, and so many parents are misinformed and/or misdiagnosed.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He's got the lethargy, fever, knee pain.
Yes! Exactly the symptoms Jared had both times. I hope it is this b/c they'll just put him on antibiotics for 30 days and he should be good to go. Jared is 21 now and hasn't had a recurrence since he was 7.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
My first thought is lyme disease. Jared first got it when he was three, started with the knee pain. He got it again a couple of years later. You don't necessarily have to have the typical "bullseye" spot from the bite. He didn't the 2nd time.

Have they checked for that??
Just what I was thinking! Both my boys have Lymes and never got a rash, just a fever and joint pain.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
oh good. I'm glad they're talking to someone there. We were sent to them by the pediatrician, and that's who did the "official" diagnosis and admitted her. They definitely know their stuff!!!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Lyme thinking here too, I had terrible knee pain (so much that I could not walk at times) when I had lyme - 60 days of doxycycline later I was back to riding my horse. Prayers that it's something simple like lyme for the family

1 - 20 of 31 Posts