Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it's snowing here - and I want my warm weather back, I am thinking about my herb pots for spring. Only room for 4 small pots this year - what (4) herbs would you plant to use fresh all summer and then dry for winter?

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
labby said:
Oops, sorry. I thought this was going to be about another "herb". ;)
If you only can grow 4 plants that might be the way to go ::)

"I'll take what's growing in the attic for 500 Alex"

ETA: We grow cilantro and dill.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
1. Basil
2. Rosemary
3. Thyme
4. Sage

I think these four are indispensable and very expensive to buy in the store.

Do you go to the botanical gardens plant sale in the spring? They have a quazillion varieties of herbs.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I used to put mine in pots and then I started a little herb garden. I have rosemary, oregano, basil (also do some in pots), thyme, lavender ...... I don't do cilantro anymore because it only lasts for a little while.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
My thyme overwintered and is back! I was so happy to see it. ;D

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No Jenn I haven't gone there...I don't use much oregano to begin with, so that's probably out. Wish I had room to plant a reg garden, but in a townhouse that's a no go...suppose I could plant sage, cilantro (have marvelous luck with this one - and it seems to last forever if you just cut it off...not too far) basil, rosemary in back, and perhaps the thyme and oregano around the 2 flowers in the front pots? What do you guys think???

Oh - yeah, Jenn, give me some thyme ideas would you?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
BoatDog said:
No Jenn I haven't gone there...I don't use much oregano to begin with, so that's probably out. Wish I had room to plant a reg garden, but in a townhouse that's a no go...suppose I could plant sage, cilantro (have marvelous luck with this one - and it seems to last forever if you just cut it off...not too far) basil, rosemary in back, and perhaps the thyme and oregano around the 2 flowers in the front pots? What do you guys think???

Oh - yeah, Jenn, give me some thyme ideas would you?
You should really go to the plant sale! You will be blown away by all the varieties of herb and tomatoes (and other stuff).

Give you thyme ideas? um, stick it in the ground and water it sometimes. Try not to drown it in the floods of summer '06. ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts